We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we try a side trip to Fiji too?

Level Contributor
240 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Should we try a side trip to Fiji too?

We are planning to spend approximately 3 weeks in the cooks, 8 nights in Aitutuak, 11 in Rarotonga. Everyone raves about the Fiji islands, and my husband wants to visit there. This trip is for his Birthday (can't tell you which one, or I'll get in trouble!). Do you think it would be worth a week in Fiji (and cutting our Cook Islands trip short)? We have been to Rarotonga for our honeymoon, so have already done most of the "touristy" things (cross island trek, etc.).

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we try a side trip to Fiji too?

Just keep in mind there is more unrest in Fiji. The military has taken over the government, and the Australian, New Zealand and many other governments are not happy. Make sure to check out the U.S. State department to travelers warnings. Chuck

Kawhia,New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we try a side trip to Fiji too?

Don't worry about unrest in fiji-

Your dollar will be appreciated and coups are not a new thing and in fact many NZs and Aussies go after coups getting good deals

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,301 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we try a side trip to Fiji too?

Yes, it's worth it. Of my 20 trips tot he south sea 12 have been to Fiji. Stay at an island resort in the Mamanuca area. Mana, Matamanoa, Malolo, Navini, Treasure, will all suffice. Better weather than the Cook's too.

Scotland
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we try a side trip to Fiji too?

I would say it is def' worth it - esp if you have been to Raro before. There are some amazing islands worth visiting - I loved the Yasawas.

Hastings
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we try a side trip to Fiji too?

I just came back from Fiji and even though there is a military presence it is unobtrusive. Weather was lovely (even when it rains it is warm!). This is the third time I have been in a year (as partner is working there), and have experienced all different parts of Fiji during that time.

As with the others, I would recommend not looking at spending much time on the mainland, rather look at one of the island resorts (or headin up to the Yasawas). Further up the Yasawas you go, the more they turn into backpackers type facilities (ie. no hot water for showers and shared eating facilities), but definately would recommend, as have been to both Nadi and Suva, and wasnt overally impressed (although the Holiday Inn in Suva and Raffles in Nadi were lovely - the actual towns werent fabulous - and if you are interested in shopping, would suggest Suva over Nadi).

6. Re: Should we try a side trip to Fiji too?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga
Recent Conversations