We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rarotonga or Aitutaki?

Dallas, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
Rarotonga or Aitutaki?

Hey,

My fiancée and I are coming to the Cook Islands from September 2-7. We are looking to go somewhere beautiful and romantic. Should we go to Rarotonga or Aitutaki Island? Can you please recommend a very nice, on the beach (if possible) place to stay? It can be a resort, villa, house or bungalow. We are looking to pay between $150 to 250 per night, depending of how nice the place is.

Thank you

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rarotonga or Aitutaki?

Kia Orana Nat, If you haven' already booked your travel for Sept. you may be too late. It's high season and a lot of places will already be full. That being said, if you are visiting for one week, I would recommend Aitutaki. Here are a couple of web sites to help you out:

aitutaki-accommodations.com/Aitutaki_Accommo…

www.holidayhomes.co.nz/search/2283714…

You can search the first one by price. Costco Travel also has some very nice packages from the U.S.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,270 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rarotonga or Aitutaki?

Kia Orana Nat, welcome to the forum.

I also recommend that you go to Aitutaki for your entire stay, apart from the length of time arriving on Rarotonga and waiting for your domestic flight, and the same when departing. Air New Zealand code shares with Air Rarotonga on the domestic sectors, so it's possible to book through flights to Aitutaki.

To help narrow your accommodation search, here are my suggestions - based on your price range.

1. Aitutaki Beach Villas

2. Aitutaki Seaside Lodges

3. Inano Beach Bungalows.

Aitutaki Beach Lodges is remote compared to the first and third suggestion, requiring transport to get to/fro dining. It's self-catering same as the others. The first option is close to Tamanu Beach, and within walking distance to nearest store and ATM. Inano is located in Ootu where there are a several bars and cafes and lagoon cruise departures. All are beachfront properties.

Let us know how we can advise you further. Kia manuia.

Edited: 28 August 2013, 15:12
Dallas, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rarotonga or Aitutaki?

Thank you very much for the help, but seems like everything is booked on Aitutaki. I have to find something

on Rarotonga. Do you have any recommandations for Rarotonga, or websites where I should book the room?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,270 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rarotonga or Aitutaki?

That's regrettable Nat - do you mean flights as well as accommodation on Aitutaki? Have you also looked at Akaea cottage, Sunny Beach beachfront bungalows, Matriki's garden unit (40 metres from the high tide) and Paparei- all on Aitutaki?

Otherwise for Raro:

1. Avaro's 2 br cottage,

2. Nikao Beach bungalows,

3. Lukuleah,

4. Bella Beach Bungalows

5. Kuriri Studio

6. Muri Beach Cottages

7. Muri Shell Bungalows

8. Tropical Sands Rarotonga

Book a day tour with Air Rarotonga to visit Aitutaki with a lagoon cruise. Prices for this activity start from $479.00 p.p.

Some of the above suggestions may be listed with Shekinah rentals, RentRaro or www.holidayhomes.co.nz

Booking directly you can negotiate prices - I do know this is the case for Tropical Sands.

Edited: 28 August 2013, 17:10
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rarotonga or Aitutaki?

I can still get the flights from RAR-AIT, that is not the problem. I am just having a hard time find accommodation on Aitutaki. I am going to check the places that you just suggested .

Thank you for your help

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rarotonga or Aitutaki?

Also check Inano Beach Bungalows, Ranginui's Retreat, Amuri Sands and Samade on the Beach

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,270 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rarotonga or Aitutaki?

Hi dihorul,

This villa is situated across a small side road from the actual beachfront, but it fits your budget and is set in a great location. Email the owner directly - aitutaki-accommodations.com/…rates

Another very attractive property is Popoara Ocean Breeze which sits at the opposite end of Ootu Point, on the ocean side. Onsite bar and licenced dining, and it is about the $180 per day/couple mark. Couldn't get a price to show on the official website though. Online booking system - http://www.popoaraoceanbreeze.com/

8. Re: Rarotonga or Aitutaki?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2015, 22:16
Get answers to your questions about Southern Cook Islands