We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sofitel vs. Hilton (Moorea)

Boston...
11 posts
Save Topic
Sofitel vs. Hilton (Moorea)

Hi All,

I'm trying to finish the booking for my honeymoon -- we're booked 6 nights at Legends, and are looking to spend 4 nights in an OWB on Moorea. It seems like the Hilton and Sofitel are the best options. Does anyone have a recommendation?

The most important thing to us is beautiful water/beach, wherever we are staying. Other than that, we've just looking to lounge around, eat some good food, and drink some good drink!

Thanks!

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sofitel vs. Hilton (Moorea)

They are both good choices. The Sofitel probably has the slightly better beach...but seriously...if you are staying in an over water bungalow, you will likely be on the deck of your bungalow and in the water more than you would be on the beach. Snorkeling is good at both properties. Neither is in super close walking proximity to stores or restaurants....although there are a couple things within semi easy walking distance of the Hilton, practically nothing within walking distance of the Sofitel..... BUT...restaurants do offer free pick up for both, so that's not an issue for dinner.

Probably the 2 biggest differences between the 2 are the view....the Sofitel is on the east side of the island and has a view of the island of Tahiti across the Sea of the Moon...while the Hilton, on the north side, has a view of the lagoon (or the island, depending direction was the unit is facing). The second difference is the Sofitel tends to be a bit more French. and tends to attract slightly more of a European crowd while the Hilton tends to have a slightly larger percentage of American tourists. That's not to say you won't find Europeans at the Hilton or Americans at the Sofitel, you will.

You seriously can't go wrong with either choice. Flip a coin! LOL! Or see who has the better deal.

Boston...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sofitel vs. Hilton (Moorea)

Thanks! This may be a dumb question, but when I say "beach", i actually mean water clarity...does either one have "bluer" water? I know I should go to Bora Bora for the bluest lagoon, but I can't get my fiance on a propeller driven plane!!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sofitel vs. Hilton (Moorea)

Should I assume you will get your fiance to Moorea via the ferry from Tahiti?

I stayed at the Sofitel before. The water is clear, the sand is white. It's not blue lagoon color like Bora Bora or Rangiroa.

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sofitel vs. Hilton (Moorea)

Hummmmmmmm

…photobucket.com/albums/…sofitelmoorea.jpg

Might not be as nice as Bora Bora's lagoon but still very blue and nice. Picture was from my honey moon

Edited: 25 February 2012, 12:20
San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sofitel vs. Hilton (Moorea)

Here is a picture of the Blue Lagoon on Rangiroa

…photobucket.com/albums/cc242/zero350/photos…

I took this one a year ago at the Blue Lagoon while having a BBQ

…photobucket.com/albums/…Rangiroa.jpg

Edited: 25 February 2012, 12:22
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
5 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sofitel vs. Hilton (Moorea)

Hi...

The Sofitel is the best hotel in Moorea, all the people there say it, and I agree!!

I've been there last year!

The lagoon is perfect for everything, snorkling, swimming, photos, etc. The hotel structure is great too!

I saw the Hilton from the boat very close. For what I saw, the sofitel is better than the hilton. (The hilton is the second best hotel in moorea).

You cAN check my photos to make your conclusions.

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157627217464445

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sofitel vs. Hilton (Moorea)

The Hilton has better snorkeling, but the water is "bluer" at the Sofitel (more beauitful shade of blue). Water clarity should be about the same underwater, as both have a white sand bottom. From above the surface, the Hilton has better clarity (you can see clearly to the bottom) simply due to the shallow (>6 feet) depth of the water.

Richmond, Virginia
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sofitel vs. Hilton (Moorea)

I found the Hilton to be too americanized.

Boston...
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sofitel vs. Hilton (Moorea)

Thank you for all of the information!

Can you elaborate with the "much too Americanized" statement?

Also, what about food at each resort/close to each resort? My fiance and I both have some dietary restrictions that sometimes make it so there is only 1 or 2 things on a menu to eat, so options are always a plus!

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,796 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sofitel vs. Hilton (Moorea)

Not sure you have already made up your mind where to stay but I would also consider staying at the Pearl in a regular hotel room and then move on to an OWB. The Pearl is within walking distance of snacks, supermarket and some restaurants that with dietary restrictions is very convenient and itmight also be less costly. You can also notify the F&B manager of the resort about your dietary restrictions and they will do their best to cater to your needs. Just another thought:)

Regards BO

The Hilton is not really close to anything within walking distance, not to say that it is not a great resort. Nice beach, good snorkeling,pretty rooms,

Edited: 02 March 2012, 02:18