We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi costs? Best places to eat?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi costs? Best places to eat?

We are considering either the Radisson or the Intercontinental and would like to know approximate taxi costs for both into the main township, near ferry terminal.

We are keen to go and try out lots of different food places, and have heard good things about the food caravans. Can anyone give me more details on these, also other reasonably priced places to eat?

We are happy to go to an expensive restaurant for one night if the recommendations are high enough. :)

(Am a bit of a "foodie", so hoping to have great experiences with this in Tahiti)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi costs? Best places to eat?

If you're a foodie, then I'd stay the Intercontinental and eat at least once at Le Lotus, their gourmet restaurant. It's not cheap, but it's so, so good.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi costs? Best places to eat?

Thanks amf1. I also appreciate great street food etc, so any hints to those places would be great too!!

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,441 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi costs? Best places to eat?

Hi there,

The Intercontinental is a short taxi ride to the waterfront & downtown Papeete...the Radisson is abit of a drive ie: about 20-25 min depending on traffic.

The Roulettes at the waterfront on Tahiti will offer local fare at reasonable prices. Fun to mix with the locals. In the evenings these food trucks can be found at Vaiete Square in Tahiti (Boulevard Pomare, Papeete). Lots of choices.

sunny regards,

shully

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi costs? Best places to eat?

Any ideas on approximate costs for taxi's to the waterfront from IC or Manava?

Is it worth hiring a car for the whole trip? Or do you get charged for parking at hotels?

I don't want to be stuck at hotel just because it's too expensive to get anywhere.

Thanks in advance people. :)

Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
277 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi costs? Best places to eat?

According to the recently published travel guide by Jan Prince, the cost of a taxi from the IC to Papeete is1700 CFP during the day and 2900 CFP at night. If that's accurate, it would add about 5800 CFP or $58 (U.S. dollars) to the cost of dinner to eat in town instead of the hotel.

My guess is that two people could eat at the roulottes for $58 less than at the IC. However, I am not so sure two people could eat at a nice restaurant in Papeete for $58 less than at the IC.

I have read that there are some good restaurants at the Marina Taina which is not too far from the IC. However, even then, the estimated round trip taxi cost at night is about $35. We will be staying at the IC and debating whether to have dinner at Marina Taina one night. I think we'll see how good and expensive our first night's dinner is at the IC and then decide.

6. Re: Taxi costs? Best places to eat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2013, 14:16