We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carate-Please help me understand the tide charts

Montreal
Level Contributor
200 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Carate-Please help me understand the tide charts

We are staying at a private beach rental in Carate this Christmas. i have been trying to undrstand the tide charts as we can only swim and boogie board safely at low tide in order to avoid bull sharks and rip tides. i have consulted a few tide charts but have found conflicting information and the owner of our rental is unable to assist. i do not want to choose a guided tour on a day when we should stay at our property. I would be so grateful to anyone who can assist.

This is what I found for my dates on CR Surf

Sat Dec. 24 low tide at 5:13 and 17;21 and high tide at 11:26 and 23:47

Sun Dec 25 low tide at 6:08 and 18:15 and high tide at 12:22

Mon Dec 26 low tide at 6:57 and 19:03 and high tide at 13;11

Tues Dec 27 low tide at 7:40 and 19;47 and high tide at 13:56

Wed Dec 28 low tide at 8:20 and 20:29 and high tide at 14:37

thurs Dec 29 low tide at 8:58 and 21:09 and high tide at 15:16

Fri Dec 30 low tide at 9:35

I found the same times on Ray and Sue’s Costa Rica Guide site but the high and low tides were reversed! For example for Saturday Dec 24 they indicate that high tide is at 5:13 a.m. and low tide at 11:26 a.m.

Please let me know which one to use . Also how much time to we have on either side of the time. For example if it is low tide at 10:am at what time is it safe to get in the water and what time should we be out?

Do these times also work for the Pejiperritol lagoon? This will help us understand which days and times to reserve the guide and kayaks for the lagoon.

thank you so much for all who reply!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Carate-Please help me understand the tide charts

crsurf's tide charts are correct.

I'm not a surfer so I can't answer your other questions.

Montreal
Level Contributor
200 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carate-Please help me understand the tide charts

thank you for your prompt reply. We are not surfers, but just want to safely enjoy the water!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Carate-Please help me understand the tide charts

My apologies. You wrote "Kayak", but I read "Surfing." I don't know about any particular areas, but in general, I've been told that in most locations it's best to do your stuff during a rising tide due to the rip currents, although they can occur at any time. Also, some locations can be inaccessible at low tide and there are often large rocks just beneath the surface. At this point, I'd say forget the forums and contact someone directly (phone or email) in the specific area that you're interested in... a hotel, surf shop, tour guide, etc.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,981 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carate-Please help me understand the tide charts

They're not rip tides - they're rip currents and they are not solely dependent on tides. Ditto for bull sharks. IMO playing around in the surf & boogie boarding is not safe around Carate. Check with a local surf shop as previous poster suggested & I expect you'll get the same answer.

Montreal
Level Contributor
200 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carate-Please help me understand the tide charts

thank you Crfan. The owner of the beach house "Playa Lapa" claims that it is safe at low tide so this is really disappointing. I guess we will stick to having meals at the nearby eco resorts, hiking their trails and using their tiny swimming pool. Not exciting, but at least safe.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Carate-Please help me understand the tide charts

Correct. As I stated, they are rip currents, and they are affected by the tides and other things. However, extra caution is advised during falling tides as in some locations you can get swept out of an area which you will not be able to return to.

7. Re: Carate-Please help me understand the tide charts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2017, 16:16
Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park