We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guide in Corcovado National PArk

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Guide in Corcovado National PArk

Hi guys,

I would like to hike in the Corcovado during 15,16,17 of September 2017. How can I find out a guide? Also, is anybody else interested in doing the hike? I have bad experience with a Guide called Rodolfo. I made a booking with him, but the day before the Hike, he is telling me, there is no accomodation available. Any other Guide recommendations?

3 replies to this topic
Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guide in Corcovado National PArk

If you are doing the three day trek to the Sirena ranger station in Corcovado Park you have two options: Los Patos to Sirena to Carate or Carate to Sirena to Carate. We did the latter. Los Patos to Sirena is hillier, muddier and a bit further. We booked our trip through our hostel. Most hotels would be able to help you out. You can also contact a tour operator in Puerto Jimenez like Surcos Tours, Osa Wild, Ficus Tours... It would be best if they have another solo traveler who wants to go those dates or if they have a small group going they can add you to. If you have to go on your own it would be expensive. You can also try the guide we had: Carlos Yanes. 506 8711 2550 c.yanes05@gmail.com or this guide (we met him in Corcovado and later again, on the bus to Drake Bay). He seemed very knowledgeable: Erick Cruz Correa. 506 8342 2260 erickcruzcorrea@gmail.com

If you are contacting guides without going through a reputable tour operator ask lots of questions. What is his experience, how well does he know the trail (he has to know about the tides), what is his flora and fauna knowledge...?

I am not sure what your guide Rodolfo means by "no accommodation available the day before the hike". The day before the hike you can sleep anywhere in Puerto Jimenez, Dos Brazos de Rio Tigre, Cabo Matapalo or Carate.

Be aware that September will probably be very rainy and it could/will be muddy. Also, wildlife is hard to spot when it pours.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guide in Corcovado National PArk

Thanks a lot Sonia. What he meant is, there is no accommodation booked in the Sirena. So, I can't do the hike.This information he is giving to me 1 day before my trip date.

Anywayz, I will try to contact these guides.I contacted Sucros.But, it is very expensive, coming more than 450$

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guide in Corcovado National PArk

Yes, the three day trek to Sirena has become very expensive. If they can add you to a group you should be able to go for $350. Also, some tour operators are more expensive but they do have excellent guides. That is why I said to ask lots of questions. We saw guides who were drinking, guides who didn't know the trail, guides who knew nothing about the animals and even a guide who just wanted to get to Sirena as fast as possible so he was actually running followed by two sweaty tourists who could not keep up! I have heard Ficus Tours is good and maybe a bit more affordable:

http://www.ficustours.com/

Also try Osa Wild:

http://www.osawildtravel.com/

And ask the hotel where you will be staying before and after the trek. Hotels often know guides as well and can sometimes help you get a good deal.

Apparently it is possible to get a list of guides from the park. You can send an email to pncorcovado@gmail.com and they will send you a pdf file with all the registered guides ("registered" doesn't mean that much so still ask questions!). I think you used to be able to make a reservation (not sure if you still can but I don't see why not) using that email address as well but I believe you will have to pay at the bank in Puerto Jimenez and then take the receipt to the park's office. It is a hassle and so most people have their hotel arrange everything or go through a tour operator.

If it is too expensive you could choose not to go into Corcovado at all. You can see lots of wildlife outside of the park as well: outside of Puerto Jimenez, in Dos Brazos de Rio Tigre, Cabo Matapalo, Carate. We stayed at a rainforest hostel in Dos Brazos (Bolita). Amazing trails. I am not sure if they are open in September though. Corcovado is closed in October. Like I said, September and October are very rainy months in the Osa and lots of lodges/hotels close.

Reply to: Guide in Corcovado National PArk
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park