We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sirena Station - Boat vs Flying

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Sirena Station - Boat vs Flying

Hello, We are going to Sirena Station from Drakes Bay in February. I suffer from boat sickness and thought that flying might be better for me than taking the boat as flying is only 20 minutes and the boat is an hour and 30 min. But of course the flight is quite a bit more expensive. I don't want to arrive sick. Any advice would be appreciated.

8 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,561 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sirena Station - Boat vs Flying

The plane landing is a bit of an adventure--the runway is very short, so the pilot (he has unique experience in doing this), whips the plane into a 180 towards the end of the runway upon landing.

I would say the boat ride is more choppy and bumpy than the sick-causing sideways rolling motion. It does get very rough close to the Sirena landing--when we were leaving at one point the boat just dropped a couple of feet.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,147 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sirena Station - Boat vs Flying

What kind of an advice can we give you?! You know your budget and you know your sea-sickness, we don't.

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sirena Station - Boat vs Flying

Thanks Racandee!

Edited: 11 January 2017, 06:29
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sirena Station - Boat vs Flying

From a pilot's perspective, both airports are relatively nice. The runway in Sirena is not especially short... Nature Air and Sansa both fly into runways that short, although not this particular one. What DOES make it interesting is the approach over the trees. There is no need for a quick 180-degree turn, but there is a steep approach if you're approaching from the land-side. The trees on either side of the runway do make the landing visually interesting. The flight and approach to landing are very much like any other approach, just a bit steeper, but the terrain makes it more visually stimulating.

The runway is not improved (paved). It is a combination of grass, dirt, and chunks of whatever else is in the ground, but the Cessna Stationair most often used for this flight is made exactly for this type of airport. The flight is expensive, but it's short, enjoyable, and except for the visual cues, not frightening (as long as you're not already frightened of flying in small airplanes.

This video contains a landing with a straight-in approach and a take-off from Sirena. You'll hear the stall warning buzzer in both landing and taking off, which is part of the normal procedure when landing and taking off from an unpaved runway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvnPR7kRZUg

Kansas City
Level Contributor
358 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sirena Station - Boat vs Flying

Maybe fly in and boat out? I loved both ways of traveling to/from Sirena. The flight/landing was an adventure that we will never forget. During our boat ride out we saw a lot of dolphins and some whales. I tend to get motion sickness on boats as well, but the boat ride out did not make me ill.

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sirena Station - Boat vs Flying

We ended up flying into Sirena station. We chose Aero Corcovado Alfa Romeo. The flight was smooth and amazing and so much fun!!! Our pilot was wonderful. We could see the entire rainforest from the plane which made it so much more spectacular to see how dense it is from the air. And got to see the coast line as well. The landing was totally fine and it was just such a great experience. It was only about 15 minutes in and 15 minutes out so we were in the park much earlier than the people arriving by boat and were able to see many animals. I recommend getting to the park this way if you can!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sirena Station - Boat vs Flying

Kapeed, how did you initially get to Drake Bay? Flying? Water taxi from Sierpe? How was it?

Thx.

Spain
Level Contributor
351 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sirena Station - Boat vs Flying

Thank you for reporting back! I'd read your thread before when looking into these transport options.

It seems you chartered the flight then? Or did you book through a tour agency? We'd be just two people so no chartering, I'd been looking at options with Surcos tours. Any info on prices?

Thanks again!

Reply to: Sirena Station - Boat vs Flying
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park