We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drake bay to luna lodge in carate

3 posts
Save Topic
drake bay to luna lodge in carate

hi all I want to no if I can go from drake bay to Luna lodge in carate by boat I wont have a car so cant drive and don't want to pay a fortune for a taxi and I need to get back to drake bay a week later to catch a flight is this possible or have I balls up

thanks

10 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,778 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drake bay to luna lodge in carate

No, boats don't land around Carate because of high waves. The only way I can think of to do this is to take a daytrip to Sirena Ranger Station from Drake Bay, pre-arrange for an overnight in the park and hike out to Carate the next day, which requires a long hot hike and wading multiple rivers.

Assuming you don't want to rough it this way, you need to head from Drake Bay upriver to Sierpe, catch a bus to Palmar and onward to Puerto Jimenez, then take the collectivo to Carate. Then you'd have to do the whole thing in reverse to get back to Drake Bay. This plan makes no sense at all to me and I would just stay in one location or the other. Contact your air carrier to see if they'll let you change your return flight to San Jose from Drake Bay to Puerto Jimenez, if you decide to stay in Carate.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,097 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drake bay to luna lodge in carate

Boats don't even go around the peninsula to Carate from Drake Bay, or to La Sirena from Carate side. Why would you go from Drake Bay to Carate, I am at lost to understand. Just stay in Drake Bay, same or similar or better, and have a hassle free relaxing vacation.

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: drake bay to luna lodge in carate

the reason for this travel is because our first week was going to be in a cheap hotel and we would do tours in that week then Luna lodge was our expensive the second week and all we would do is relax there. not many free hotels to go to as we are going in march. flights are not booked yet so we could get the plane from Puerto Jimenez

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,097 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drake bay to luna lodge in carate

There are several luxury lodges also in Drake Bay, FWIW. Or, if you are into relaxing only, find a small luxury lodge in Uvita. Anyway, luckily you do not need to return to DB for your flight to SJO. Have a great trip!

3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: drake bay to luna lodge in carate

I just seen a shuttle service called shuttle osa we can get from sierpe which can take me to pj and I could get picked up by my hotel do you know this bus service and does it still run?

New York City, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: drake bay to luna lodge in carate

WHat did you end up doing and how did it work out? We were wondering the same thing.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,097 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: drake bay to luna lodge in carate

Using a shuttle service or private driver is the optimal option; you could also use local bus yet it will took longer.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,434 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: drake bay to luna lodge in carate

Bus is a great option…and cheap…I just try to drive to Drake to cheek my farm….and even that I was driving a big 4x4…Toyota FJ Cruiser…was not ossible some parts of the road were asked out…and crossing rivers in this time of the year…no way JOSE!

roadadisor

Drake Bay, Costa...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: drake bay to luna lodge in carate

I must correct this info and tell you...Boats from Drake Bay DO land in Carate area.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,097 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: drake bay to luna lodge in carate

OK, that is a new info. Please elaborate more in details: who is offering such a service, length of boat ride and expected costs (per boat or per person). Muchas gracias!

Reply to: drake bay to luna lodge in carate
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Carate