We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monteverde to San Jose-where to stay inbetween

Jackson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
65 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Monteverde to San Jose-where to stay inbetween

We will be arriving in Monteverde in the early afternoon on 11/9/10 and staying one night at a hotel that night. That gives us a half day (11/9) and a whole day 11/10 before we have to head back to the San Jose Airport to depart CR on 11/12. Question, should we book one more night in Monteverde (11/10) to see more OR if we leave Monteverde in the early afternoon on 11/10, is it advisable to secure another place to stay for the night of 11/10 and if so can anyone advise of a fun town to stay at inbetween Monteverde and San Jose? Are there any nice beaches that we could visit between Monteverde and San Jose that would put us close to our final destination of San Jose on 11/11 where will spend one night and then head to the airport in the morning on 11/12. I know this is confusing but I am trying to get our itinerary in order as much as possible so we are not left scrambling in a foreign country! This is our first time to CR and our itinerary is a busy one! From landing in San Jose, down to Cahuita, then to LaFortuna, then to Monteverde, then back to our hotel outside of Heredia/San Jose area. If anyone can follow this post and has helpful info, especially travel time and specific roads/highways to take I would be most appreciative! Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,781 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monteverde to San Jose-where to stay inbetween

The drive to/from Monteverde is a tiring one over unpaved roads: 3-3.5 hours from La Fortuna to Monteverde, and then 4 hours from Monteverde back to San Jose. I think you're much better off staying in Monteverde for 2 nights rather than try and cram in 1 more spot. There's planty to keep you occupied around Monteverde. Also there are no beaches without going hours out of your way and then backtracking to San Jose.

Suggest you get a good map and GPS for your travels. Check http://www.yourtravelmap.com/ for driving times and directions. Have a great trip!

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monteverde to San Jose-where to stay inbetween

I totally agree with CR fan...the road to/from Monteverde is an exhausting one-the road is much worse than we had expected it to be (especially being a big tourist destination). We originally were going to spend one night in MV but were very glad we spent 2 nights instead. Monteverde not only has the park but they also have a great frog exhibit, butterfly exhibit and bat exhibit-all of which I recommend. We live here in CR and are always excited to learn something new or see new species so we were happy we went to these places.

CR is not a place to be rushed....if you do you'll miss too much!!! But that said, most people come back as there's just too much to see in one visit. :-)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,497 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monteverde to San Jose-where to stay inbetween

I'm surprised that my amigo/a crfan is saying that the drive from Monteverde to San Jose is about 4 hours from Monteverde!

I drive tour buses, vans, cars, trucks up there about every week...the road is better than ever...just the last 12 kms getting into Santa Elena...the rest is paved and in great...great condition...with a regular SUV or Van it take me no more than 2 hours and 45 minutes to SJO by Sardinal... Pan Am Hwy...Barranca...Caldera...Orotina...# 27...all the way to Atenas/Rio Grande out of # 27...La Garita...SJO...

If you really like to break the drive...maybe one night at Double Tree by Hilton...just 1 hour and 30 minutes from Monteverde and 1 hour and 15 minutes to SJO!.

But you can easily drive from Monteverde to SJO ...no problema!

Just remember 12 kms...dusty or muddy but not a big deal...

roadadvisor from Costa Rica and IN COSTA RICA

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Jackson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
65 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monteverde to San Jose-where to stay inbetween

Roadadvisor, you gave me excellent information! I was very interested in what routes/roads/highways to take and you put everything in there! I am inclined to agree with the first reply to my post in trying not to cram too much into another day. But I am going to check into your suggestion of staying 1.5 hours out of Montevered/SJ. I have another question that I forgot to post so I will ask you now! We are going to be driving a rental car with a GPS and we do have a fantastic map we bought her in the USA. However, the map does not always indicate road names or numbers on the small roads so I am thinking that we will be depending heavily on the GPS. Agreed? Thanks again for great info!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,497 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monteverde to San Jose-where to stay inbetween

Thank you April58...

Yes the 1.5 hours is to Double Tree Hotel by Hilton in Puntarenas vey close to Caldera...also near Barranca...

Great idea alwyas that double checking with a real map...even that GPS work fantastic here...agree with you...out of the 3 years or so that I drive with my Garmin with mapping by Navsat...only one time my GPS was totally lost...I knew we were lost...but I followed my GPS to see when and how it will correct itself...it never did...that is such a great idea to drive also with the map backup!

And the GPS works so easy...since our addreses are so bad, just type the hotel you are going or the name of the town...that is it!

Please do not hesitate to ask any question any time...

roadadvisor

Jackson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
65 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monteverde to San Jose-where to stay inbetween

Thanks Roadadvisor! I will be in touch I am sure with more questions! Actually, I think you have responded to some of my earlier posts! Sometimes I think I am over-analyzing and planning the trip to CR but I am the kind of person who has to be prepared! HA HA! thanks again! - april

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,497 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monteverde to San Jose-where to stay inbetween

Feel free to ask any question any time...

roadadvisor

8. Re: Monteverde to San Jose-where to stay inbetween

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2011, 18:25