We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

Athol, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
372 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

I am in the preliminary stages of planning a trip to CR next Feb or March. I know I want to spent several days in Manuel Antonio and see the Arenal volcano, but most of the information I find about Monteverde seems to involve heights. Can one experience Monteverde if you have to avoid anything to do with heights?

Athol, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
372 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

Sadly, my fear of heights will prevent me from doing a lot of the main attractions in CR. Certainly no zip, skytrams or hanging bridges. (I really wish I could do the last one, but I know I can't). The ride up the mountain...? Maybe, we'll see. I was a passenger on a drive up Mt. Washington in NH once and was so terrified thinking about the drive down, I was sick to my stomach, but I have managed other adventures that were much worse since. A phobia is hard to understand, but if you have one, you learn to respect it.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,506 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

if you do rent a car, i recommend that you sit in the middle of the back seat. the worst place for you would be near the window. it's a beautiful drive to monteverde, the very best i've ever seen anywhere and it would be a shame for you to miss out on it.

Athol, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
372 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

Middle of back seat seems like good advise, but if we do Monteverde, I think it will be with a pro driver. Sadly, some of the crime reports are convincing me that we might not want to be renting a car on our own.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

We just returned from CR. We drove a RAV4 ( 2 wheel drive). Two in our group are squeamish about heights. We drove to Monteverde and didn't encounter any height issues. ( I realize the height thing is subjective). Yes the road is high in the mountains but seldom are you near a cliff edge , and you are going pretty slowly due to the road surface (garvel washboard). Part of the road is thru grazingland and is substantially cleared giving you a view across valleys....Very pretty

If you have been on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virgina, or on the access roads to ski reworts in Vermont and survived that, I think you would be fine. The CR roads are narrower, but with much less traffic, and the Monteverde access roads are NOT conducive to going fast.. Once in Monteverde/Santa Elena the surroundings are much like any small town,

Athol, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
372 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

Thank you..that was extremely useful as I have been on those roads. I love the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway and have been to ski areas in Vermont (though I don't ski). Those roads are fine. I have also done the drive on Mt Washington in New Hampshire and to say I was terrifed on that is an understatement. If it is like the former and not the latter, awesome!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

Trust me is not that bad...

roadadvisor

17. Re: Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2011, 16:16