We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

Athol, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
376 posts
1 review
Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

I am in the preliminary stages of planning a trip to CR next Feb or March. I know I want to spent several days in Manuel Antonio and see the Arenal volcano, but most of the information I find about Monteverde seems to involve heights. Can one experience Monteverde if you have to avoid anything to do with heights?

Athol, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
376 posts
1 review
11. Re: Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

Sadly, my fear of heights will prevent me from doing a lot of the main attractions in CR. Certainly no zip, skytrams or hanging bridges. (I really wish I could do the last one, but I know I can't). The ride up the mountain...? Maybe, we'll see. I was a passenger on a drive up Mt. Washington in NH once and was so terrified thinking about the drive down, I was sick to my stomach, but I have managed other adventures that were much worse since. A phobia is hard to understand, but if you have one, you learn to respect it.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,672 posts
30 reviews
12. Re: Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

if you do rent a car, i recommend that you sit in the middle of the back seat. the worst place for you would be near the window. it's a beautiful drive to monteverde, the very best i've ever seen anywhere and it would be a shame for you to miss out on it.

Athol, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
376 posts
1 review
13. Re: Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

Middle of back seat seems like good advise, but if we do Monteverde, I think it will be with a pro driver. Sadly, some of the crime reports are convincing me that we might not want to be renting a car on our own.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,071 posts
27 reviews
14. Re: Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

We just returned from CR. We drove a RAV4 ( 2 wheel drive). Two in our group are squeamish about heights. We drove to Monteverde and didn't encounter any height issues. ( I realize the height thing is subjective). Yes the road is high in the mountains but seldom are you near a cliff edge , and you are going pretty slowly due to the road surface (garvel washboard). Part of the road is thru grazingland and is substantially cleared giving you a view across valleys....Very pretty

If you have been on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virgina, or on the access roads to ski reworts in Vermont and survived that, I think you would be fine. The CR roads are narrower, but with much less traffic, and the Monteverde access roads are NOT conducive to going fast.. Once in Monteverde/Santa Elena the surroundings are much like any small town,

Athol, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
376 posts
1 review
15. Re: Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

Thank you..that was extremely useful as I have been on those roads. I love the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway and have been to ski areas in Vermont (though I don't ski). Those roads are fine. I have also done the drive on Mt Washington in New Hampshire and to say I was terrifed on that is an understatement. If it is like the former and not the latter, awesome!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
51,000 posts
42 reviews
16. Re: Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

Trust me is not that bad...

roadadvisor

17. Re: Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2011, 16:16