We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

Athol, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
372 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

I am in the preliminary stages of planning a trip to CR next Feb or March. I know I want to spent several days in Manuel Antonio and see the Arenal volcano, but most of the information I find about Monteverde seems to involve heights. Can one experience Monteverde if you have to avoid anything to do with heights?

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,084 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

Well, it is on top of a mountain... Not sure how bad your fears are but you will know you are on top of that mountain, hard to avoid the fact. You do not need to do Hanging bridges or anything that puts you in an uncomfortable position. Walking in the Cloud Forest is fine. While driving up the road leading to Monteverde just look straight ahead...

Cheers

Inca

Athol, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
372 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

I never even thought about the ride to the cloud forest. From your post I assume the drive up the mountain is quite open? My fear of heights is pretty severe. I can't see everything I would like to in one trip...perhaps I should skip this one and focus on the others. Thanks

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,084 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

Actually many roads throughout Costa Rica are like this. Costa Rica is a very mountainous destination. Not Rocky mountains tall but some good drop offs just the same in some places. I certainly don't want to scare you about it but it is the reality. IMO I think you will be just fine, I get motion sickness easy so if I am being driven anywhere just do what I do and take naps.

Inca

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

I would say that if you are worried about this, just skip it. It is not worth fretting over and having the anxiety about it for your vacation time. You should look forward to your time here and not have any kind of doubt or dread.

I, too, have a fear of heights - to the extent that I built a staircase with hand rails to get to the roof of my house!. (Once I was away from the edge, I was OK, and needed to do a few repairs. To get back down, I had to lie down on the roof, face down, and edge my way to the staircase. Good thing no one was around to take pictures! )

I have been to Monteverde and it didn't bother me at all. Will you be driving or will someone else do the driving?

Athol, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
372 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

Still in very preliminary stages. I certainly will not be driving, but maybe my husband. Just beginning to look at renting a car, hiring someone or a tour. Might consider doing some of the trip as a tour and then renting a car to go just to Manuel Antonio. We have mostly traveled in Carribbean islands and he has been fine driving in most of those (Puerto Rico was a bit hairy when we got off the main road), but neither of us speak Spanish and that could make driving on our own a bit dicey. I really do not want every moment mapped out for us as many tours do...that is why I am planning a 4-5 night finish in the MA area where we can relax part of the day and explore the rest. In a question to Incabod...are the roads narrow and on cliffsides so when you meet a vehicle coming the other way you are hanging on the edge?

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,084 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

Most roads are normal sized enough, but they lack service lanes and guardrails more often than not, again not trying to scare, just reality. Don't over think it, you will have a very nice time here.

Cheers

Inca

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,497 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

Agree with both of you guys...maybe next trip...

roadadvisor

Athol, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
372 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

Don't worry, you have not talked me out of the trip, but I think IF we do Monteverde (and our itinerary will depend on how many days we have) we will leave the driving to someone familiar with the road and I'll sit as far from the edge as I can. I would rather have the truth than a false image. Thanks

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,497 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

I have been driving up to Monteverde for more than 35 years...I drove up there..45 passengers buses, Toyota Coaster good for 30 passengers,,,Toyota Hiaces good for 15 passengers, and many small cars and SUV...just be sure to drive slow...it is an incredible drive...not scary at all...trust me...

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monteverde for someone with SERIOUS fear of heights

If you are not driving, it won't be a problem. Whoever is driving, if you get to parts that make you nervous, just hold on and close your eyes. It will pass in a minute or two! Hiring a good driver such as roadadvisor (www.tucanlimoservices.com) is the easiest way to go. You can also use a shared van shuttle - www.shuttlebus.co.cr