We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good budget hotel in MA?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
40 posts
78 reviews
Good budget hotel in MA?

Hello all,

My best friend and I will be in Costa Rica from 23rd to 31st of August and will spend a few days in Manuel Antonio. I'm getting super overwhelmed looking for a decent budget hotel and am looking for suggestions. Something that has good scenery (a view is nice but not necessary) maybe some monkeys, is easy to get in to and out of (will not have car), and SAFE SAFE SAFE. We are both fluent in spanish and would love something that is locally owned and operated.

I saw Hotel MIMOS last night and that looked nice, not sure how far it is from the park or from Quepos.

Looking to stay under 80$ night.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
198 posts
1. Re: Good budget hotel in MA?

I had some freinds stay at Mimos and they loved it. They said it was very nice and comfortable and for being relatively inexpensive it was a very good deal.

Also check out hotel Mono Azul. I have never stayed there but it is under $80 and I have heard from people it is not too bad.

Another decent hotel is Hotel La Colina. It is about $45 a night and it has a pool and you get a complimentary breakfast. I have stayed here and would again if I needed to stay in a hotel. The rooms are very plain: a bed, a TV and a shower with hot and cold water, but their rooms are clean and I had a bed to sleep in.

These hotels are within a 3 - 5 minute drive from each other on the road to Manuel Antonio but much closer to Quepos than to MA beach. There is a bus stop with in close walking proximity to each and Taxis are easy to flag down.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,103 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Good budget hotel in MA?

Normally the more expensive places that get much of the hype in this forum. However, there are plenty of budget options. Have a look at places like Didi's B and B, Cabinas Espadilla, Hotel Vela Bar, Hotel Manuel Antonio, the Mono Azul, Hotel Plinio, La Colina to name some that come to mind. There are also some cabinas - Ramirez and Pisces - good location - very very basic places. There are also a few hostels - Vista Serena which has a great view and Backpackers. And if you want, there are some places in Quepos but staying there is not nearly as nice. But whether the above or similar are good for you does depend on your standards or expectations.

As for Mimo's - Steeltown has given a good recommendation. It looks nice. Have eaten at their restaurant. It is about 2 km from the town of Quepos and 5 km from MA beach/park. It is right in the area of our place. I find the area convenient for buses and cabs. We sometimes even walk to Quepos - though the main road is very busy and there are no sidewalks. There are several restaurants besides Mimo's own within walking distance.

Pura Vida

raquel

dzw
Newtown...
Level Contributor
72 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: Good budget hotel in MA?

You may also want to check out La Posada Jungle Bungalows. They have received excellent ratings.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
40 posts
78 reviews
4. Re: Good budget hotel in MA?

Thank you thank you!!! You're advice is greatly appreciated. I am really looking forward to Costa Rica. Most of my travelling has been in Guatemala and Hondruas so there's not much that could surprise me. As long as it is clean and safe I am OK :-)

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
877 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Good budget hotel in MA?

Hotel Mimos is down the drive from my bungalow so I eat there sometimes. I love their pizza as it is authentic Italian, not American style. Anyway, the place looks nice. There is a pool and it is a pretty area around it. It is on the main road and there aren't really going to be monkeys because it is not really surrounded by forests, however the mono titis pass the road very close to here. You can see them all along the road next to Mimos that leads to Bungalows Las Palmas and Hotel California on their way to the monkey bridge that leads to Mono Azul. Mimos' location is in walking distance from Quepos and it is a downhill walk. You do not have to go the main road, which can be kind of dangerous. The road that runs beside Mono Azul also leads to Quepos and is seldom traveled. It gets extremely rough and would require a 4WD so you can mostly walk in the middle of the road. It takes about 20 minutes but you pass real tico residential areas. You can then taxi back for about $3.

Hotel Plinios does have rainforest around it including a private park therefore you might see monkeys there. I don't think they have airconditioning. You can check it out. They have a website.

Sunny California
Level Contributor
2,110 posts
39 reviews
6. Re: Good budget hotel in MA?

umping on this topic, I'm planning on staying at Tres Banderas...anyone have any feedback on that place?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
198 posts
7. Re: Good budget hotel in MA?

I have never stayed there, but it is very close proximity to La Colina, On the road to MA but closer to Quepos than the beach.. There is actually a but stop out in front making it very convenient. Busses usually pass by every 20min or so and are 200 colones.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
8. Re: Good budget hotel in MA?

Vista del Cerro main road La Fortuna great reviews TA

$40 dbl very nice for me...

9. Re: Good budget hotel in MA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 02:46