We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Souvenirs Question

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
640 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Souvenirs Question

We will be in MA next year (too far away!) and I'm already planning how I'm going to spend my money! What are the authentic (locally made, if any) Costa Rican souvenirs I should look for and where are the best places to find those in and around MA? On the flip side, what is there a lot of that are not necessarily "authentic" or are a dime a dozen? Thanks for your suggestions!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,345 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Souvenirs Question

Hi Luker...life goes so fast... nothing is too far...or nothing is too slow...

WELCOME to paradise!!

If you are driving from San Jose to Manuel Antonio...is a nice shop located about 1 mile before Atenas...at the right hand side of the road...great selection...

But also once in Manuel Antonio...by the public beach...there is a bunch of souvernirs stands all the time...you can find some there too....

Luis Road Advisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,835 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Souvenirs Question

As Luis has said, you can buy souvenirs - things like hand made jewellery, some wood stuff, brightly coloured sarong wraps and some Tshirts at the stalls near the beach.. If you sit on the beach, you will inevitably be approached by people selling pottery. It6 is pretty much "dime a dozen" stuff. In the MA, Si como No has a gift shop called Regalame and there is a place called La Buena Nota www.casabuenavista.net/shopping_page.html

There are some places where you can buy paintings and other art, including a shop in Plaza Yara.

There are also several real shops - mainly in downtown Quepos. There is a lot of wood stuff - bowls boxes etc or all qualities and prices.

The most upscale shop in Quepos is called L'Avetura. Among the things they carry are carved boxes by Barry Beisanz.

Many people bring back coffee from Cafe Milagro. They have a branch on the MA road and one in Quepos. At the Quepos store, if you are there at the right time, you can actually watch them roast the coffee beans.

Although there is stuff to buy, to me CR is not really a shopping mecca.

What kind of things are you interested in?

Pura vida

raquel

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Souvenirs Question

If you do a google search for Costa Rican Souvenirs, you will come up with a large list of online shopping sites that will give you a general idea of what is available in shops in Costa Rica. I just did this for kicks and spent about an hour looking...mostly at prices. There are many things to choose from... if you stick to wooden objects, you will likely buy authentic gifts.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
877 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Souvenirs Question

Along the public beach in Manuel Antonio is my favorite place to buy gifts and little things for myself. There are hippie like vendors who make jewelry and such and sell them on little tables lined up along the road. There are a ton of these people so many choices. Tshirts and things are sold there too. My favorite jewelry vendor was one who carved things out of coconut to make necklaces.

It is popular for people to buy Imperial tshirts. Imperial is the local beer and there is sort of a religious following of this beer in the country. I prefer their Pilson personally.

As far as standard items that people buy it would be the little hand painted wooden ox carts. Too me this is touristy but it is what people buy. Also cigars are popular.

In Quepos (near manuel Antonio) there is a cigar shop in which they handroll cigars with Cuban tobacco. They are not labeled Cuban but it is Cuban tobacco.

Last but not least buy coffee. You can get what the locals buy in the grocery for like $2.50 to stock up on a bunch or go for the more tourist driven higher end stuff. In Quepos Cafe Milagro has really good coffee for sale and it is still cheaper than buying Costa Rica coffee here.

5. Re: Souvenirs Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio