We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To get from SJO airport to Puntarenas - easy or difficult?

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
To get from SJO airport to Puntarenas - easy or difficult?

We are thinking about going to the Doubletree in Puntarenas in fall. How much of a hassle is it to get from the airport in San Jose to the Doubletree in Puntarenas? I'd like an easy vacation with littel hassle. Is it truly 2 hours to get form the airport to the hotel? I really want the easiest plan. Can anyone help? Does the hotel make arrangements?

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To get from SJO airport to Puntarenas - easy or difficult?

You can arrange a private driver to wait for you at the airport to take you to Puntarenas. The price is around $150. You can search for good drivers like Juan Carlos, Luis Chinchilla, Oscar Chavarria. A good driver will also make the trip be very interesthing for you. NATUREGUIDE

Ramer, Alabama
Level Contributor
467 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To get from SJO airport to Puntarenas - easy or difficult?

it can take longer than 2 hours. We got hung up in traffic in the mountains, due to a traffic accident, and it took us close to 4 hours.

Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To get from SJO airport to Puntarenas - easy or difficult?

Very unlikely to make it in 2 hours, plan on a little longer. Also allow more time for your rental car pickup, the hard sell on the insurance, etc.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: To get from SJO airport to Puntarenas - easy or difficult?

I agree. It would be best to arrange for a private driver pick you up. Juan Carlos, Oscar, they all have a very good reputation in Manuel Antonio, friendly, knowledgable of the different areas, professional.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,981 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To get from SJO airport to Puntarenas - easy or difficult?

It is only 100 Kms...in a good day...can be done in about one hour to double tree...all depends on trafic...you can drive to Atenas, San Mateo, Esparza, Barranca...Doubletree.. no more than 1 hour and thirty minutes...

Luis Road Advisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
877 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To get from SJO airport to Puntarenas - easy or difficult?

It is usually more like 2 1/2 hours. I am assuming you are going by private transport. If you were going by bus you have to take a taxi into San Jose then take the bus (2 1/2 hours) to Puntarenas.

I hope this is not your only destination in the country if you are vacationing because you may be disappointed. There is none of the beautiful tropical scenery, pretty beaches, wildlife, or even trees where you are going. It is a good place to experience the true Costa Rica because tourism has not interfered with local culture there but it definately is not nice or pretty or at all what one would think when they visit the country.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,025 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To get from SJO airport to Puntarenas - easy or difficult?

I would not choose Puntarenas as a spot to settle in. It's an ugly place with very little to offer.

If you're looking for a nicer beach, look to Manuel Antonio or somewhere on Nicoya--anywhere between Guanacaste in the North to Montezuma in the South.

8. Re: To get from SJO airport to Puntarenas - easy or difficult?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 01:20