We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Classic Costa Rica with Tortuguero

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Classic Costa Rica with Tortuguero

I went on the Gate 1 “10 Day Classic Costa Rica with Tortuguero” trip. I went in April, which is just before the rainy season. Before I booked, I was torn between Manuel Antonio and Tortuguero, but I am so glad that I chose Tortuguero – it was my favorite part of the trip. We stayed in open air cabins (Hotel Evergreen) in the rain forest and would wake up to sounds of the jungle and monkeys running all around. The food at the hotel was very good. It did rain quite heavily one day and night, but that is probably to be expected in the rain forest. If you go, I recommend taking rain gear – waterproof pants, shoes, and trash bags to put around your luggage. Tortuguero is remote and only accessible by a small plane or boat, so it is an adventure. Note – it was warm and humid and there was no a/c, so that might bother some people. However, the unique experience far outweighed any drawbacks for me.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,721 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Classic Costa Rica with Tortuguero

Austin, your description of Tortuguero, and additional advices, is spot on! What about the rest of your trip?

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Classic Costa Rica with Tortuguero

Other hotels:

· Radisson Europa Hotel & Conference Center, San Jose - Nice hotel and great breakfast, but the location was a little inconvenient. Walking around San Jose was not easy because pedestrians do NOT have the right of way, and the city center was about a 20 minute walk from the hotel.

· Arenal Volcano Inn, Arenal – Beautiful landscape and decent food.

· Monteverde Country Lodge, Monteverde – Basic breakfast, rooms did not have A/C, and there didn’t seem to be any weather stripping around the doors and windows so many bugs came into the room.

Optional tours:

· Full Day Cano Negro Boat Tour – Very similar to the boat tours in Tortuguero, but when you’re in nature, there’s always a chance to see something different, so I’m glad I did the tour.

· Selvatura Canopy Tour – The zipline was beautiful and went fast. It scared me, but most of the others loved it.

· Selvatura Hanging Bridges Tour – There’s a local guide who walks you through the cloud forest and explains many things along the way, so it takes a while. I would have preferred to just walk around myself.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,721 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Classic Costa Rica with Tortuguero

Thanks, Austin! As for no A/C in Monteverde, most of the time they would be in heating, not cooling regime :-).

4. Re: Classic Costa Rica with Tortuguero

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2016, 14:17