We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe driving from Guapiles to La Pavona?

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
244 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe driving from Guapiles to La Pavona?

Hi,

My wife and I are staying at Casa Marbella in Tortuguero for 3 nights in March 2015. We're renting a 4x4 and driving from Cerro de la Muerte to La Pavona on 23rd March to get the public boat that leaves at 12:30 (ish).

Wikipedia tells some scary stories about armed robbers on the road to La Pavona. Any thoughts on whether these are true and if they are what precautions I should take?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe driving from Guapiles to La Pavona?

You will be fine. I think there have been one or two incidences in the past few years, but there are LOTS of travelers on that road so unlikely you will have any problem. In addition to some private cars, there are tons of tourist van shuttles and a couple of public buses.

I would be more concerned about getting there on time from the Cerro de la Muerte. Be sure you have plenty of time. Right now, the highway is closed due to a MASSIVE landslide and it could be weeks before it is open again. It will be open by the time you arrive, but just a good warning that "anything can happen." Not sure what you are using for driving times -- but don't depend on google maps. They are good for maps but notoriously lacking in travel times for Costa Rica -- way too quick.

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe driving from Guapiles to La Pavona?

Thanks for the advice.

I'm using the time advised by Pariaso Quetzal Lodge where we're staying. They say allow 5 hours so I plan on leaving at around 7am. If we're delayed we can always get the last boat from la Pavona

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe driving from Guapiles to La Pavona?

OK, that sounds great and I'm sure the time they give you is accurate. Hoping for an interesting and uneventful drive for you!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,345 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe driving from Guapiles to La Pavona?

Just common sense…do not drive out of La Pavona to early or to late…nice if you can follow another car or bus…all the way…just common sense…

roadadvsior

5. Re: Is it safe driving from Guapiles to La Pavona?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2016, 17:26