We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family travel from tortuguero to arenal

7 posts
Save Topic
Family travel from tortuguero to arenal

my family (hubby, and youngest daughters, ages 7 and 10) will be splitting our 10 day trip in July between tortuguero and arenal. We will fly into San Jose of course, then we fly to tortuguero. My concern lies in getting from tortuguero to arenal. I'm not sure how my young daughters will do on a 7 hour public bus/boat ride, so I'd like some suggestions here on the best mode of transport for our family.

P.s. - your reviews and input on here are amazing! I'm thankful to have found this forum!

New Orleans
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family travel from tortuguero to arenal

Have you decided what to do? We're looking at a similar trip in July with two boys ages 5 and 8!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,985 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family travel from tortuguero to arenal

The easiest thing to do is hire a private driver to meet you at the boat docks and drive you to Arenal. Stop in Sarapiqui for lunch and to take a break. Ask your lodging in Arenal for recommended drivers or do a search for private drivers on this website.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family travel from tortuguero to arenal

We just did the same thing. Flew into San Jose and had the lodge we were staying at pick us up and drive us to the boat transportation for the 90 minute ride to the lodge by Tortuguero. We had an "interesting" time getting from our rental car place to Arenal and I would highly suggest hiring a driver. There are car rental places in La Fortuna if you want to rent a car.

We LOVED LOVED LOVED Arenal and the La Fortuna area. If/when we go back we will go back there and probably visit more volcanoes.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,905 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family travel from tortuguero to arenal

Once in Siquirres…back from Tortuguero…you can a driver meet you there and is only 3 hours ride to Arenal…

roadadvisor

5. Re: Family travel from tortuguero to arenal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2016, 14:16