We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Viejo to Tortuguero w/ rental car

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
54 reviews
Puerto Viejo to Tortuguero w/ rental car

Can someone explain the easiest way to get to tortuguero from puerto viejo with a rental car?

Last time I research ed this, people used to park at Cano blanco and take boat in.

They would like to go to Tortuguero overnite and leave suitcases in car and just pack overnight.

All advice welcome.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Puerto Viejo to Tortuguero w/ rental car

Each time we have gone to Tortuguero we have met the lodge (Turtle Beach and Laguna) representatives at the Cano Blanco dock. There is secure fenced in parking with a guard, but I personally would not leave anything.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: Puerto Viejo to Tortuguero w/ rental car

Thanks very much. Any idea what time guests should arrive to get a good overnight experience with Tortuguero?

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Puerto Viejo to Tortuguero w/ rental car

We did the trip to Tortuguero via Moin, much easier to get to from PV, there is a secured parking also at the port. I would try to get there before 10 am, is about a 4 hour boat ride, with a lunch break. the boat ride back to Moin is about three hours.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
54 reviews
4. Re: Puerto Viejo to Tortuguero w/ rental car

Thanks, but my preference is Cano Blanco as that is where it seems most hotels pick up guests and where Exploradores deposits guests.

Tortuguero, Costa...
Level Contributor
79 posts
5. Re: Puerto Viejo to Tortuguero w/ rental car

It really depends upon where they are going next. The best option if they will be continuing on with the rental car to another destination like Arenal or the Pacific beaches, would be to park at La Pavona where the public boats dock. They have covered parking, no fences but a night watchman and the owners of the place live there. I've never heard of anything being stolen there -- in fact, a friend left his keys in his car and when he got back they were keeping them safe in the restaurant for him. I would still recommend to not leave anything of value in the car. Clothes in a suitcase should not be any problem.

The problem with Caño Blanco is that you add about 2-4 hours of extra travel to the next part of your journey. If you park at Caño Blanco, you can't really get an early start leaving Tortuguero because the hotels have departure scheduled at around 9am. You get to Caño Blanco around 10:45 at the very earliest, and then you have to go through Siquirres (takes at least an hour to get there), then to Guápiles, then on through Braulio Carillo. By the time you get to San José it will probably be rush hour, and good luck getting to the Pacific at a decent hour.

If you park at La Pavona, you can leave Tortuguero on the 5:30am boat or on the 10:30am boat.

And just one more thing: Tortuguero overnight is not the best choice. It's a lot more relaxing to stay two nights. If it's an overnight, you travel all day and then do a turtle tour that night (in season) and then get up early for a canal tour -- absolute MUST DO in Tortuguero -- and then hit the road. Anyone would be exhausted after that.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
54 reviews
6. Re: Puerto Viejo to Tortuguero w/ rental car

Hey Wild Ginger! I really appreciate your response. That was very helpful. Cheers, Colin

Hotel Banana Azul.

Tortuguero, Costa...
Level Contributor
79 posts
7. Re: Puerto Viejo to Tortuguero w/ rental car

No problem!

I would also recommend that people who are coming just for a one-nighter in Tortuguero arrive fairly early and leave fairly late the next day. You can't really get to Tortuguero in time to do an afternoon tour, and it's best to get settled, eat, and rest after the travel -- optimally, take a nap before the night tour. Then, they can go on a turtle tour that night and on a canal tour early the next morning.

If it's turtle season, those two tours are really essential. You would really be missing out otherwise, and if you're going to travel all this way you should really take advantage of everything Tortuguero has to offer.

If you're ever in Tortuguero, Colin, you should stop by our restaurant. We'll drop by Banana Azul next time we're in Puerto Viejo!

Jennifer

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Puerto Viejo to Tortuguero w/ rental car

I'm surprised anyone is actually not saying, "Don't ever leave your rental car unattended"! Even if left in a secure place, the term secure is a bit less than what you may be used to. But, if you do decide to do this, please don't leave your suitcases in the car. No one should ever recommend that in CR.

Tortuguero, Costa...
Level Contributor
79 posts
9. Re: Puerto Viejo to Tortuguero w/ rental car

I understand the desire to leave large luggage behind if you're just going for one night. Definitely, under no circumstances, should you leave any valuables unattended in a rental car, even when stopping for lunch, but some extra clothes in a suitcase doesn't sound so risky to me. Obviously, you run the risk of losing your suitcase, but La Pavona is in a really remote area, and there is only one way in or out.

Just imagine: a thief would have to leave their vehicle far enough away so that the residents wouldn't hear them coming, and most likely entering on foot would cause all the dogs to start barking. Even if they managed to get in and steal something without raising alarms, they would have to cart their loot out, so a suitcase would most likely be left behind.

I wholeheartedly agree that travelers should not expect that they won't be robbed when leaving their belongings unattended, but in this particular case leaving a suitcase with no valuables might be worth the risk.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
10. Re: Puerto Viejo to Tortuguero w/ rental car

@wildgingerCR: Except when the car window is smashed, and you'd have to deal with the rental place, and hassle of all that entails!