We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tortuguero 2DayTour or Lodging with San Jose transportation

Los Angeles
13 posts
Tortuguero 2DayTour or Lodging with San Jose transportation

Hi,

My husband and I plan to visit Tortuguero as the last leg of our 11 day trip to Costa Rica for 2 days / 1night (25/12 and 26/12). I’m having trouble deciding which tour operator to use: Exploradores Outdoors, Jungle Tom Safaris or Riverboat Francesca. Exploradores and Jungle are more affordable, and I’m wondering if it will come at different cost (quality, organization, etc.). If anybody has had experience with them and can recommend if one is better than the other I would greatly appreciate it.

Or, would it be better to book a lodging that includes roundtrip transportation to and from San Jose? If so, which hotels with this service do you recommend.

Thank you for your help!

Gabbie

https:/…

www.jungletomsafaris.com/2-days-1-night-tour/

http://www.tortuguerocanals.com/index.html

6 replies to this topic
Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,770 posts
266 reviews
1. Re: Tortuguero 2DayTour or Lodging with San Jose transportation

I know people who have used Riverboat Francesca, and they rave about them. For lodges, check Mawamba Lodge and Laguna Lodge; those are popular. We loved Tortuga Lodge, but it's pricier. Most people stay in the lodges and have their transportation arranged.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,666 posts
149 reviews
2. Re: Tortuguero 2DayTour or Lodging with San Jose transportation

As I said in the other thread, I think 1 night stays in Tortuguero are a terrible idea, regardless of who is offering it. You spend twice as much time traveling there as you do getting to actually enjoy the place, and that's assuming there's no rain.

I would have to be paid money to go through all of that extra drama for one mere night at the end of a very long and active trip.

There are much better uses of your time.

When we went, it was for three nights and that felt about right. Two nights would have felt rushed, one night just seems ridiculous and would be more of a tour group stampede tour than a way to enjoy the place.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
68 reviews
3. Re: Tortuguero 2DayTour or Lodging with San Jose transportation

I am pretty sure all of the lodges have packages that include transportation and tours. This does not include the accomadations in town and I see no advantage to staying in the town.

We stayed at Laguna Lodge, and while it is not fancy, we really enjoyed it and the service was excellent.

Having said that I think you need two nights in order to get the value.

Edit Ha ha Rac. Yup!

Edited: 09 August 2018, 07:31
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,666 posts
149 reviews
4. Re: Tortuguero 2DayTour or Lodging with San Jose transportation

Well, you were a bit politer about it than I was, as is frequently the case.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
68 reviews
5. Re: Tortuguero 2DayTour or Lodging with San Jose transportation

Well I could be rude and correct your

"bit politer" grammer, but that would probably come back to haunt me.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,770 posts
266 reviews
6. Re: Tortuguero 2DayTour or Lodging with San Jose transportation

I would definitely stay two nights as well; that's what we did, and that was perfect for us. I wouldn't go all that way for just one night.

Reply to: Tortuguero 2DayTour or Lodging with San Jose transportation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted