We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extreme rainfall, should we go?

Roosendaal, The...
4 posts
Extreme rainfall, should we go?

Hi,

There has been extreme rainfall a few days ago at the carribean coast of Costa Rica, including Tortuguero. It still rains a lot. Is it recommended to go anyway to Tortuguero or should we rather go elsewhere? We heard there are a lot of mosquitos now and that the park is just one giant swamp now.

We were planning to go the day after tomorrow.

Thank you for your reply in advance.

13 replies to this topic
Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
267 reviews
1. Re: Extreme rainfall, should we go?

I'd check with the lodge where you're staying for the most up to date information. We went in July and there were a lot of mosquitoes; if you go make sure to bring repellent with you. I believe they'll close the park if the conditions aren't safe.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,536 posts
149 reviews
2. Re: Extreme rainfall, should we go?

Agree with volcanogirl--possible that things haven't recovered. But, the area is always like a swamp. Tours are by boat so high water shouldn't be a huge problem.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
231 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Extreme rainfall, should we go?

Hello MarshavO: Did you decide to go continue with your plan to go to Tortuguero? If so, I would be grateful for a conditions report. We are scheduled to be there beginning August 2. Thank you in advance!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
52 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Extreme rainfall, should we go?

We are Just back from tortuguero. No. No problem with mosqitoes. But yes rain can be dépressive. We had 1 fantastic day with little rain. We did canoeing and turtle se arch. It was 2 days ago. Yesterday strong rain thé whole day.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
231 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: Extreme rainfall, should we go?

Thank you for the report, very helpful!

Roosendaal, The...
4 posts
6. Re: Extreme rainfall, should we go?

Thank you! Sounds ok. :)

We didn't check the conditions by contacting our accommodation yet, because i can imagine they have other interests and do not want us to cancel our reservation. Information from other travellers sounds more reliable.

I will give an update after we've been there.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
267 reviews
7. Re: Extreme rainfall, should we go?

It didn't occur to me that they wouldn't be honest with you, but I guess that is a possibility.

Westborough...
Level Contributor
146 posts
61 reviews
8. Re: Extreme rainfall, should we go?

We will be there 7/23 too. I don’t really have an alternate plan. Are you still going?

Roosendaal, The...
4 posts
9. Re: Extreme rainfall, should we go?

Ok, we arrived today. 4x4 vehicle is recommended, when you want to go from la pavona to Tortuguero. A small section of the road is floaded, and it looked deep enough to get stuck in it.

We read the ticketsale is in the restaurant, but the public boat-ticketguy was standing on the parkinglot. (We found that a bit confussing)

The tortuguero town is accessible, no big problems due to the rainfall.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9,766 posts
70 reviews
10. Re: Extreme rainfall, should we go?

Thank you for the update! Enjoy your trip!

Reply to: Extreme rainfall, should we go?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted