We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe for two girls ?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
51 posts
Safe for two girls ?

I’m planning a trip with my friend . Both of us are 25 year old woman .. how safe is it for us to go alone ? We are looking to go to waterfalls, water activities and more..

Would prefer to stay at an Airbnb but not sure if that’s the safest way to go ?

12 replies to this topic
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9,708 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: Safe for two girls ?

Try typing Safety on the Search line just above this thread. You will get multiple prior discussions on this topic. Sort the results by Date afterwards to see the most recent threads on the top. It might be better to read through multiple prior posts from many ppl, vs someone saying "just use common sense".

peoria, il
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Safe for two girls ?

When are you traveling? I will be there June 5-8 with my two girls in their mid 20’s

peoria, il
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Safe for two girls ?

When are you traveling? I will be there June 5-8 with my two girls in their mid 20’s

Level Contributor
99 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Safe for two girls ?

If you are asking about safety in Tamarindo, I’ll just mention that on my flight back to the States from CR in March I sat next to a young man (mid-late 20’s) who told me he visited friends in Tamarindo and that it had changed since he was last there a few years prior. He said “it gets sketchy there after dark”....”lots of drug action going on”.

Fast forward to being back in CR last week with husband and 2 sons in their early 20’s. Day trip to Tamarindo for the surf. Planned to leave by 4:30 to avoid driving in dark (and sketchiness). Husband left the beach to get our car and was offered drugs. While he was gone, a guy walks by my sons and me on the beach and offers us weed and blow.

Yup- time to leave.

Definitely search the forum for more information.

If you decide against Tamarindo, there are many other great places to stay and get your side trips in.

Martinsburg...
Level Contributor
352 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Safe for two girls ?

Sadly, that garbage seems to be finding its way everywhere in this world these days... And more and more often coming out into the open rather than staying confined to a few dark hidey holes. Sorry to hear, Sandy.

I didn't visit before, as so many people tagging it "Tamagringo" didn't make me think it would have the feel I was looking for. This doesn't up the odds of my including it in future visits.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9,708 posts
70 reviews
6. Re: Safe for two girls ?

Agree with post 5. Sad. 😢

Level Contributor
99 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Safe for two girls ?

It is sad. It is one thing to hear about the blatant drug offerings, and another thing to experience it. I think it’s good to know what’s going on so you can plan accordingly if you decide to make Tamarindo “home base”.

Our day trips to Tamarindo we’re great- we really do love the surf there. But at the beach you must either have someone watch your things if you go to swim, or don’t bring anything to the beach you wouldn’t want stolen. The people sitting behind had this happen . Of course- we saw nothing as we were set up in front of them.

If you’re set to stay in Tamarindo- just be educated and plan accordingly.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,819 posts
51 reviews
8. Re: Safe for two girls ?

Overall, I would say you're safer at a hotel than staying in your own house. It's nice to have nearby hosts at a reception desk and other travelers to speak with. This is possible at even a small, family-run establishment.

One place we've enjoyed was El Sabanero Lodge, near Playa Avenallas (Lola's!!!) and also close to Tamarindo. This would work better if you had your own car but I'm sure you could use taxis to get around, too.

http://www.elsabanero.com/retreats/

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
267 reviews
9. Re: Safe for two girls ?

I agree with daisy about staying in a hotel vs. an Airbnb. Friends of ours rented on Airbnb, and their house was broken into while they were asleep at night. Someone just came in and stole their camera, phones, etc. Not common, but it's the kind of thing that can happen if you aren't staying somewhere with other people or some kind of front desk/security. If you're nervous about safety, I'd lean towards some type of hotel rental. There was no forced entry so they think it was some kind of inside job. Also a hotel is more likely to have some kind of safe you can use for valuables and your passport.

Edmonton Canada
Level Contributor
949 posts
68 reviews
10. Re: Safe for two girls ?

Our family has been visiting Tamarindo for the past ten years, as we own a condo there (at the Diria). Our children (now in their late 20's) have also been there with their friends as well. We haven't experienced any change in the atmosphere there, and in fact, drug offerings have been there since our first visit. Simply decline with a "No, gracias" and move on. We see it as an inevitable part of the experience in a surf town which attracts visitors of all ages, from all over the world. My wife feels very safe heading out in the evening with her friends. Our family has travelled extensively, and in Tamarindo we exercise the same caution as we would anywhere.

As for home break-ins, these occur in many places in Costa Rica and occur more often in houses, as opposed to condo developments with secured perimeters. It is always a good idea to keep your valuables in a safe.

Reply to: Safe for two girls ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo