We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rampant theft at Playa Conchal

Park City, Utah
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Rampant theft at Playa Conchal

Took the thieves mere minutes to break into our locked car and steal our backpacks containing everything, wallet, phone, kindles, and my darn surfboard wax! Don't trust anyone on this beach, those claiming to watch your car or anyone else. On a positive note, it is a beautiful beach, and I'm safely back in Tamarindo, drinking tonight and surfing again tomorrow, so life goes on...

11 replies to this topic
Edmonton Canada
Level Contributor
942 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rampant theft at Playa Conchal

I am sorry to hear that you were the victim of theft from your car. Such thefts are not limited to Playa Conchal-- they happen all over Costa Rica, and indeed, all over the world. (We were once the victim of a car break in at a beach on Oahu, Hawaii when we were 50 yards away)

It is widely advised on this forum to not leave anything valuable in your car, and if you must, leave it out of sight or locked with a cable lock to the car's structure. Keep your passport in a safe at your hotel, and carry a copy.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,345 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rampant theft at Playa Conchal

So sorry ---bad guys all over...thank you for sharing....maybe some people are going to learn from your bad expereinec...once again sorry.

roadadvisor

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rampant theft at Playa Conchal

Yup, car break-ins are common. Hence the recommendation to NOT leave anything in your car. Certainly not anything valuable.

I had my car broken into in Tamarindo - don't feel safe there, either.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,456 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rampant theft at Playa Conchal

Has anyone experienced a break-in anywhere other than at a beach?

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rampant theft at Playa Conchal

Yup - they stole the radio out of my car at a guarded store parking lot in San Jose.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,035 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rampant theft at Playa Conchal

How did you drive your car to Playa Conchal? I was sure that is not possible.

Why would you leave all those things in a car anywhere in the world?

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rampant theft at Playa Conchal

That is a very good questions, CT...

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
966 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Rampant theft at Playa Conchal

Yes, you can drive to Playa Conchal on a dirt road from Brasilito.

However, as reported in the Costa Rica Star on April 13, the Reserva Conchal Beach Resort requested to close that vehicle access and The Contentious Administrative Court has ordered the Municipality of Santa Cruz to do so immediately.

The Municipality denounces this as an attempt to "privatize" the beach.

If anyone knows what's going on there right now, please let me know!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,456 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rampant theft at Playa Conchal

Let me rephrase my question. Has anyone heard of thefts like these in tourist areas other than beaches (and not in San Jose)?

I get the impression that the places I visit most, Arenal and Monteverde, are not subject to the same level of property loss. One time while in Monteverde there was talk of a car break-in and everyone was in shock because it happens so infrequently there.

What is it about beaches????? Anecdotally, I wonder if it has something to do with the party atmosphere. In areas frequented more by ecotourists everyone is out early and back early. Maybe it's because travelers are carrying their stuff around with them when it's not the beach?

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rampant theft at Playa Conchal

People leave more stuff in the car when they go to the beach. people who go to the beach have a choice whether to leave their stuff in the car or on the beach when they go swimming. People hiking in the forest generally don't have to make that same choice.

Reply to: Rampant theft at Playa Conchal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted