We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarket in Liberia

Which Liberia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
349 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Supermarket in Liberia

I was just wondering if anyone knows if the large supermarket near the airport in Liberia is open on Sundays? If so what time ...

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Supermarket in Liberia

There are several large supermarkets in Liberia but the closest one is the Jumbo Supermarket in the Santa Rosa Shopping Center.

It's about 15 minutes from the airport, going towards Liberia. It will be on your right as you approach the traffic light on Rt 1.

I know it is open on Sunday but I don't know the hours. I would imagine it's 8-9 am to 8 pm or something similar.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,218 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Supermarket in Liberia

Looks like the Jumbo in Liberia is open 'til 10pm daily. http://www.jumbo.cr/ubicaciones.html

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Supermarket in Liberia

Thats the one , the largest supermarket in town

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Supermarket in Liberia

MegaSuper is quite cheap and has not been "gringo-fied" like some other shopping suggestions. A little bit more like a no-frills, shop from pallets store. Large size bags of goods. It too is in Liberia behind the bus station.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Supermarket in Liberia

SuperCompro, Pali and Mega Super are some of the other supermarkets in Liberia, but Jumbo is the largest and the easiest to get to from the airport. All of these are located in the center of Liberia or near the center whereas the Jumbo is in a shopping center with easy access from the airport.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Supermarket in Liberia

SUPERCOMPRO does huge specials every friday and saturday and MegaSuper has 30% off of fresh vegetables every Saturday. Support locals. Shop local. SuperJUMBO is owned by WalMart.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,041 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Supermarket in Liberia

Thank you Hattie...great advice by you as always...and you know Guancaste better than many of even us costaricans...thenks God you are part of this great forum...agreed 100% with you...please Hattie keep doing your great work...here at TA...you most love our country...we need a lot humble people like you!

roadadvisor

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
349 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Supermarket in Liberia

Thanks for the advice ... we will see how adventurous we feel as it is only our 2nd time in CR and 1st time renting a car. Do any of these stores sell more than groceries like beach chairs & towels?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Supermarket in Liberia

Yes, they all do. Whether you will have a selection you like - that's another thing.

The Jumbo is really easy to get to from the airport. If you are renting a car, you will already be on the main highway between the airport and Liberia. Just head towards Liberia and you will see it in the shopping center on your right. It's not much of an adventure!

Edited: 07 October 2013, 01:10
Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
349 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Supermarket in Liberia

Ok thank-you, and yes we are renting a vehicle. I meant that going to other supermarkets other than Jumbo may be an adventure ;)