We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight in Bijagua worthwhile?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
550 posts
6 reviews
Overnight in Bijagua worthwhile?

We'd like to visit Rio Celeste - is there enough to do around Bijagua to justify spending the night there, or are we better to do as a day trip from Arenal area?

thanks!

12 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,410 posts
149 reviews
1. Re: Overnight in Bijagua worthwhile?

Is there a lot to do there that you can't do in Arenal? Probably not unless you're into birds. But it's a lot less touristy.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
155 reviews
2. Re: Overnight in Bijagua worthwhile?

I love Bijagua and have spent 6 nights there and could of stayed longer. It really depends on your type of travel and when you travel there ..Racandee had some really bad weather on his trip and yes it can rain alot there at times.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,410 posts
149 reviews
3. Re: Overnight in Bijagua worthwhile?

There's definitely quite a bit to do there--we did the tubing, birding, and the national park hike. It's a lot prettier than the Arenal area is, so if you're looking for a day of some down time that would be a good place for it as well.

But yeah, it rains a lot there and there's a not insubstantial chance that could have a big, negative effect on a stay there. Very much a matter of luck, lesab33 loved it, and for us it was the only place we've traveled to in Central America that we were happy to leave.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
155 reviews
4. Re: Overnight in Bijagua worthwhile?

When to go is a big factor if you are not into rain. March & April and August to end of November have historically been "drier" months. People tend to compare Bijagua to the north west Pacific weather due to it's proximity to the beaches there but it's the exact opposite. February is the rainiest month .. historically.

My 6 nights were in September and it was "rainier" than normal I was told.. I loved it. This year April i was doing my rain dance praying for rain. Rio Celeste river too low to do tubing.

Not alot of restaraunts and very laid back area. Really type of travel style matters. Very different than Arenal.

Martinsburg...
Level Contributor
308 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Overnight in Bijagua worthwhile?

We stayed in that area for a few nights at a super laid back type of place as well. Definitely a different thing going on there, for the most part, than the Arenal area. Just depends, as others have mentioned, on your style.

In the case of your specific question, I would likely do it as a day trip, if your other option is staying one night. In general most here recommend avoiding one night stays except when necessary near the airport for flight time reasons. Lot of extra logistics, checking in and out, packing and unpacking, etc for what would amount to an evening and a morning there.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,410 posts
149 reviews
6. Re: Overnight in Bijagua worthwhile?

February is the rainiest month? Doh!

Wish I had known that before booking that area.

And I'm totally bookmarking that post in case we plot a return trip.

Edited: 16 August 2018, 08:44
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
155 reviews
7. Re: Overnight in Bijagua worthwhile?

LOL.. but don't blame me if the weather gods treat you bad. Really you seem to have bad luck with weather gods.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
155 reviews
8. Re: Overnight in Bijagua worthwhile?

Just to note for any travelers. List of can do... small, agricultural town.. not for everyone but for those like farm country:

- Hiking at Heliconias Lodge.

- Uncle Miguel night frog tour.

- Visit Finca Verde Lodge trails and butterfly gardens.

- Numerous horse back riding options. There is one that leaves right from the park and takes you through the beautiful country side ending at a small farm. Posada Rio Celeste La Amistad is one and they also have trails you can pay and walk and swim in the blue river.

- Purvi camp.. down the street from the Tenorio National Park. Pay a few colones and swim in the blue river

- Bijagua Raintforest Tours: Tapir Valley Tour, Cano , Negro, horseback riding. Marlon can be your guide also for Tenorio park and can personalize tours for you.

-Onca tours – do kayaking, stand up paddling and tubing on either Rio Celeste (blue weather permitted) or Rio Frio.

- A little further Llanos de Cortez Waterfall, Rio Perdido, Palo Verde National Park, Las Hornillas, floats on Tenorio or Corobici river. Rafting Tenorio

- Bijagua waterfall .. hard trail right the end but a nice river walk if finale is not the waterfall.

I love to watch the kids play soccer. In the town central by the school.

my favorite past time is walking into town from my only place to stay , Casistas Tenorio and talk to locals and accept rides. Yes jump into strange peoples car in CR. People in this area will always offer you a ride with a smile and expect nothing for it.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
550 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Overnight in Bijagua worthwhile?

Wow! Great feedback - thanks so much! We aren’t much into birding - we are more scenery/animals/active types... perhaps we’ll add an extra night in Arenal area and just day trip there (will be in area towards end of November)

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,181 posts
62 reviews
10. Re: Overnight in Bijagua worthwhile?

If lucky, a tapir might wander into one of the orchards, and the farmer will call your host, and thus the (expensive) trip to La Sirena will not be needed anymore!

Anyway, staying (only) 3 nights in Bijagua a week ago, I must confirm it is one of the prettiest countrysides in Costa Rica, laid back, much like Sarapiqui sin plantations. Orchards and pastures dominates the landscape, and back door to Tenorio NP (have not ventured int Miravalles) is a great way to just get lost in more nature.

So, if your only goal is to see Rio Celeste, do it from La Fortuna side. But if you want to experience what Costa Rica best offers, stay 2-3 nights. There are several well recommended places to stay. As for many others, Casitas Tenorio instantly become our home away from home.

Reply to: Overnight in Bijagua worthwhile?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Arenal Volcano...