We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Fortuna hotels/beach

5 posts
La Fortuna hotels/beach

Hello! My husband and I are planning my 40th bday trip beginning of Dec, just us two. Looking for suggestions of Best hotels in La Fortuna, $200 a night or less, with a treehouse or bungalow feel.

Also looking at spending 3 nights in La Fortuna, 3 nights at the beach. How far are the beaches and is it with trying to see both?

Thanks so much!

11 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
1 review
1. Re: La Fortuna hotels/beach

If you can fly into Liberia airport (LIR) going to the beach and Mt Arenal area will be easy because the airport is only about 30-40 minutes from the nearest beach.

If you have to fly into SJO (San Jose) airport, the nearest nice beach is about 2 1/2 hours away from the airport . So you'll have to do a bit more driving.

How much time you get in those places also depends on when your airplane arrives in Costa Rica, and when it leaves.

Do you already know those things or have an idea? (which airport you'll use, and when you might arrive and leave).

Edited: 21 August 2018, 12:29
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: La Fortuna hotels/beach

Check out the Tree House hotel near Arenal. I also like Hotel Kokoro and Lomas del Volcan in that area. If you're willing to stay further from La Fortuna, La Mansion Inn on Lake Arenal is lovely and very romantic.

5 posts
3. Re: La Fortuna hotels/beach

Looks like it’s much cheaper to fly into San Jose. We haven’t booked our travel yet, but plan to spend 6-7 nights in Costa Rica. Would love to see the volcano/hot springs and beach area. But not sure about the distance between the two places.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,646 posts
265 reviews
4. Re: La Fortuna hotels/beach

We like the Arenal and Manuel Antonio areas. They're each about three hours from the airport but in opposite directions, about five hours or so between the two. We always fly in and out of SJO. Arenal area has the volcano and natural hot springs like Tabacon and Eco Termales. Manuel Antonio has a very pretty beach inside the national park and lots of fairly tame wildlife like sloths and monkeys. If you drive between the two, there's a popular stop at the Rio Tarcoles where you can see huge crocs down in the river below.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
1 review
5. Re: La Fortuna hotels/beach

Yes, it's a good idea to go to both Mt Arenal and the beach, the beach area being around Manuel Antonio or places south of that.

It will be much better if you rent a car (at least to me) because Manual Antonio is very popular with tourists, and a car gives you the ability to easily go farther south to places like Dominical and Uvita for the day, which are beautiful and won't be so busy with people. Of course I suppose many people would be happy just staying around Manuel Antonio too.

Keep in mind that Manuel Antonio National Park is closed on Monday and the hours on other days are 7 am to 4 pm.

You can find a lot of information already existing in the forum about Arenal and Manuel Antonio hotels by using the search function. I only say this so you can get your answers fast since you are traveling in December.

Just go to the Costa Rica Travel Forum page, then below the yellow "shop hotels" button you'll see the magnifying glass, where you can type in something like "Arenal hotels". After you click on the search button to the right, you'll get the results. To sort it by date for more recent information, click on Sort By "Date" over on the top right.

You'll get something like this:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?ff=813&geo=291982&scope=2&q=arenal+hotel&pid=34633&s=D

Here is some information on Manuel Antonio , Dominical , and Uvita

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g313829-…

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g635755-…

Edited: 22 August 2018, 06:10
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
1 review
6. Re: La Fortuna hotels/beach

If you are looking for someplace more secluded, a place like this one might be good.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/17330608…

Also, you will have a hard time finding a place around Manuel Antonio where you can easily walk to the beach. The beaches are nice there so it’s worth the trouble to get to them. It depends what you’re looking for.

5 posts
7. Re: La Fortuna hotels/beach

Thank you for the reply!

5 posts
8. Re: La Fortuna hotels/beach

Awesome thank you for the info!

5 posts
9. Re: La Fortuna hotels/beach

Thank you so much for all the info! Really appreciate it!

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
114 posts
30 reviews
10. Re: La Fortuna hotels/beach

Yes! Worth it to see both! Arenal/La Fortuna and the beach areas are totally different! In La Fortuna check out Kioro Suites. I flew into San Jose and it was a couple hours drive to La Fortuna. In Manuel Antonio, Hotel San Bada is nice. The beach inside the National Park is gorgeous. But the public beach is too and you there you can bring food whereas you can’t inside the Park. For beaches you might also look into Uvita (about an hour from Manuel Antonio and a lot less touristy) and the Caribbean side as well, near the Panama border where you can do a daytrip to Bocas del Torro.

Reply to: La Fortuna hotels/beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted