We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to see area in 4.5 Days?

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to see area in 4.5 Days?

Hello,

Please help me figure out best way to see La Fortuna area in 4.5 days.

I have a family with 21 and 25 year old. My wife and I dig nature!

Arriving in beginning of June.

Will have rental car but not 4 wheel drive.

Staying at the Observatory.

Probably do a few activities like maybe rafting, zip line( if I can get the wife to do it??)

Thanks for any input!!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel La Fortuna
Hotel La Fortuna
547 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
13 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to see area in 4.5 Days?

You have ample time to really enjoy the area. I recommend a volunteer tour at Proyecto ASIS wildlife rescue. I's also suggest Mistico hanging bridges and the Butterfly Conservator in El Castillo.

For a special treat, since you have the time, you might consider a cooking class with Chef Scott - Costa Rica Cooking School.

http://www.costaricacooking.com/

Mentioned in this post
Proyecto Asis
Proyecto Asis
1,470 Reviews
Costa Rica Cooking
Costa Rica Cooking
57 Reviews
Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,644 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to see area in 4.5 Days?

AOL is a great place to stay if you like nature. Don't miss their observation deck when they put the fruit out in the morning, very easy place to see all kinds of pretty tanagers and honey creepers, as well as great currasows, oropendolas, and sometimes toucans. Also the coatis like to hang around and catch any bananas that fall off the feeder. There's also a free guided hike each morning that takes you all around the trails and by the waterfall; you catch a tractor back to the lodge. We did rafting with Rios Tropicales and ziplining with Sky Trek - both excellent. Also love the Cano Negro boat tour for seeing wildlife. It's nice to pair with an evening at the hot springs since it's an all day tour. Something new we did this trip was visit the Bogarin Trail. It's right in town on land owned by the Bogarin family. You can do a guided hike there; we saw five sloths when we did it, and poison dart frogs, and red-eyed tree frogs. Also like hiking at the Hanging Bridges and the waterfall ( just steps down and back up, lots of them!) That's the perfect amount of time to stay in that area.

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,644 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to see area in 4.5 Days?

daisy, did you guys do the cooking class? We did it on our last trip and thought it was great.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to see area in 4.5 Days?

Yes, We've done the class twice. That's how much we liked it! I see on the website that there are more options now. Most people aren't in the area long enough to justify spending a half day drinking and eating.

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,644 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to see area in 4.5 Days?

We made so much food - patacones, black bean puree, sangria, ceviche, pork with mango chutney, cashew encrusted sea bass with a great sauce, chayote squash, a mashed sweet potato dish, and coconut flan. Was your menu similar? He told us if we came back that he would change the menu so we could learn some new dishes. Can't wait for his new restaurant to open.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8,036 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to see area in 4.5 Days?

We enjoyed our stay at AOL! It is a beautiful place! We had a great volcano view from our Smithsonian rm., where we moved from the initial Standard room - one if the ones by La Casona. Avoid those (https://www.arenalobservatorylodge.com/property-map ), too far from everything and no views.

We needed to register for the included guided morning hike (more details here: https:/…free-activities ). Starts at 8:30 am, lasts for about 2.5 hrs. It was more of a walk, with the guide making frequent stops to talk about the area, the volcano, the fauna, etc. Most do it on their first full day, after an early breakfast (included). While we were staying at AOL, they were building the observation tower, called The Nest. Now that it has been finished, the site says one needs to prebook the time slot to go up (small extra fee)-https://www.arenalobservatorylodge.com/observation-tower-nest .

SkyAdventure entrance is located very close to AOL.

I would not book tours in advance, since you are not travelling in the peak holiday season, as it might depend on the weather. Most activities continue in any weather, but ziplining will likely be cancelled in case of lightning.

Bring repellent and use it if going out after dusk - e,g., we got bit when looking for frogs at the AOL's frog pond after dusk. We had long pants, long sleeves, and had sprayed with Off!, but some horsefly-looking insects got us anyway... :-( In exchange, we got pretty pictures of pretty frogs! LOL 🐸

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,644 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to see area in 4.5 Days?

The Nest is three dollars per person, but if you do one of the early morning birding hikes, it's included. Can't go up without a guide. It's high!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,214 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to see area in 4.5 Days?

Listen to Volcano Girl..she knows the area and places ...she is great

roadadvsiro

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to see area in 4.5 Days?

Thanks for all advise so far.

I noticed that AOL do not have air-conditioning in their rooms. Is this a big deal at this time of the year?

Also, is it advisable to have some local currency or can I get away with just having American dollars?

Thanks!

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,644 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to see area in 4.5 Days?

When we've been there, the lack of a.c. hasn't bothered us. It usually cools down into the 70s at night. We were able to sleep comfortably. During the day usually mid to high 80s but can hit the low 90s sometimes. They have a pool if you want to cool off during the day. You don't need colones. Dollars have been accepted everywhere that we've gone; you'll usually get change back in colones.

Reply to: Best way to see area in 4.5 Days?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted