We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shanghai Forum: Tong Ren Tang Shanghai SCAM

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Penang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Topic
Shanghai Forum: Tong Ren Tang Shanghai SCAM

Hi all, Let this be a warning to all visiting Tong Ren Tang Shanghai for the first time. Beware of tourist guide bringing you to this place of scam and ripped off. I am not saying all Chinese are con men. Being an oversears Chinese myself I am poorer by few thousand dollars by listening to lectures by self proclaimed professor by just looking at your palm and pulse and saying that you have diseases. They dress in white like a professional doctor impressive but you pay dearly and costly mistake. They mesmerise you, hypnotise you, as though you are in a charm. Shanghai is a beautiful city with beautiful people but beware of tourist guide bringing you to these places so that they get a cut or commission and you become the victim like milking a cow. As a rule of thumb, buy nothing there except in trusworthy shops like supermarket, emporium etc. where the price is fixed and the local people buy from there. My holiday and my first trip to Shanghai had been marred by these unpleasant experiences. My next trip to China, I am not going to buy anything except sight seeing ,staying in a 4 to 5 star hotel and enjoy the local food. Once bitten twice shy. I am also going to be good Samaritan by advising other tourists so that they would not fall in to this trap and ripped off.Let my experience be a warning to all would be travellers. -William

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shanghai Forum: Tong Ren Tang Shanghai SCAM

look into

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g308272-i2804-k454…

manila
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shanghai Forum: Tong Ren Tang Shanghai SCAM

We were also victims of Tong Ren Tang! They convinced & forced my dad that he has a heart failure & needs to buy a medicine for him to survive his sickness. They hypnotized my parents on buying their products. After the trip, my parents realized they were scammed! They never used the product they bought until now, scared that it has side effects. Beware of travel agencies who offers you to go to unnecessary places and pushes you to buy their products!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shanghai Forum: Tong Ren Tang Shanghai SCAM

chinese are easily conned into buying them becos of the 怕死 attitude.,but really they look so professional sheep in wolf skins.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shanghai Forum: Tong Ren Tang Shanghai SCAM

sorry more like wolf in sheep skin haha

5. Re: Shanghai Forum: Tong Ren Tang Shanghai SCAM

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 19:16