We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best island for snorkelling off the beach

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Best island for snorkelling off the beach

Please can some one help answer my query as to which beach has snorkelling straight off the resort front that is relatively easy to get into the water as I have a wee bit of mobility problem. We are hoping to find a resort that has a good beach and several restaurant options. Thanks

20 replies to this topic
Maroochydore Qld...
Level Contributor
294 posts
23 reviews
11. Re: Best island for snorkelling off the beach

Hi, we have stayed at both resorts ( just last month to Octopus) and we love both . Our favourite resort in Fiji for us at this point in time is Octopus, (we haven't been to all the island resorts but we are working on it).

The beach at Octopus is steeper than BLBR. Sometimes there are small waves crashing onto the beach at Octopus but we experienced no tidal sweep at all.

BLBR the beach has a very gentle slope into the water, we never experienced any tidal sweep there either, it may be the time of year or the tides when we were there. I don't believe you would go wrong at either resort.

Have fun deciding.

Cheers Steely.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
64 reviews
12. Re: Best island for snorkelling off the beach

I’m a regular at both Octopus and BLBR. I agree with Steely as to conditions at both, have just returned from our annual visits to both. The inshore reef at Octopus is better, with more colour to the coral, but depending on sea conditions it can get wavy there. BLBR is calm virtually all the time, my 7 year old granddaughter who is just learning to swim had no problems snorkelling there without fins. Food at both these resorts is excellent.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
282 reviews
13. Re: Best island for snorkelling off the beach

TaiMariln,

I think you must get special discounts if you can go to those islands each year as well as others with the Fijian Government pricing tourists out of the market and the high cost of boat transfers with a captive market. A$600 is a lot to pay for a round trip to both island for two people with 4 days on each as that is what it will cost us next year to do two islands

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
10,121 posts
144 reviews
14. Re: Best island for snorkelling off the beach

Easier access at Blue Lagoon at all tides. Currents not a problem unless you go quite away out at change of tide even then not strong. Prefer Octopus as a resort though.

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
15. Re: Best island for snorkelling off the beach

Thanks for that. Good to get great feed back

GoldCoast,OZ
2 posts
16. Re: Best island for snorkelling off the beach

I disagree re Octopus--Matamanoa is definitely the island I would choose. Lived in Fiji for many years and have been to Octopus, Blue Lagoon, other Yasawa Islands and those in Mamanuca group. Matamanoa wins hands down for snorkelling and live coral.

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
17. Re: Best island for snorkelling off the beach

Thanks for that

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
18. Re: Best island for snorkelling off the beach

Thanks for that will have a look. Went to Mana years ago and enjoyed the snorkelling there

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
282 reviews
19. Re: Best island for snorkelling off the beach

Yes, Mana island is one of the few islands(along with Muscat Cove and Plantation Island) that actually have a wharf to pull up to. None in the Yasawas do that I know off.

Unless things have change and they have cut a grove through the dead coral where the boats come in. For me it was impossible to get out through and to the coral on the outside at low tide. This restricted the snorkelling time out front of the resort.

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
20. Re: Best island for snorkelling off the beach

Ok didn't realise there were no wharves on a lot of islands.

Reply to: Best island for snorkelling off the beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted