We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Remote Fishing

california
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Remote Fishing

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had some information about a remote river fishing trip in fiji. Somewhere inlands in the dense forest areas. Please advise, thank you.

Fiji Islands
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Remote Fishing

Doesn't really exist in Fiji as far as I know. There are salt water flats fishing with popper casting and fly fishing though.

Adrian Watt at Matava in Kadavu just hosted Bill Boyce and Cam Sigler for a few weeks fly fishing for a TV show in USA/Canada.

See the blog at:

…blogspot.com/2007/09/cam-sigler-flies-bite-…

Email Matava and specifically to Adrian for very good fishing advice (he's very British and will be pretty unbiased about the info!)

Also a fairly new place up on Sunshine Coast that I've heard of but no reviews of fishing op is Fly Fish Fiji.

http://www.flyfishfiji.com/

Based out of nanuya Island resort (which IS reviewed very well here)

Good fishing!

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Alaska
Level Contributor
255 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Remote Fishing

Hello, I don't know about the river fishing, but I've seen this rafting guide service advertised. http://www.riversfiji.com/ . You could inquire with them. Perhaps they can combine a float-fish trip? If the water is too fast for float-fishing, perhaps you can have take-out points to stop and fish? The photos on the website show canyons, so I don't know if stops would be possible.

I'm curious, what are you fishing for in the rivers?

Oh, just did a google search and this site actually mentions float-fishing. whitewater-rafting.gordonsguide.com/fiji.cfm

"Whitewater rafting in Fiji offers an array of experiences catering to all, from an easy float fishing trip..."

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Fiji Islands
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Remote Fishing

As far as I know Rivers Fiji's conservation policy is a "Leave No Trace, Nothing in, Nothing Out" one. However I don't know this as a fact that would stop fishing. They have worked long and hard to have stretches of the rivers they use set aside for long term conservation, and good for them.

There are some small boat operators that run up from Navua (near Pacific Harbour) who go through shallows that look like good fishing for trout (from my limited Scottish experience), but I don't know what fish are in the rivers beyond Tipalia (escaped from fish farms). Rosies run many of these trips, and you could ask to be dropped for a while to fish...

Aaron Jenkins is the resident fresh water fish scientist in country here, google his name and you'll find out which fish are in the rivers.

4. Re: Remote Fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 03:16
Get answers to your questions about Qamea Island