We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report 18/02/-11/03

Which Calangute hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
bridlington
Level Contributor
321 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
trip report 18/02/-11/03

All packed & ready to go. Left home for manchester at 3.30 am,was leaving the car in pontefract so went our usual way down the A64 .We needed to turn of on the A162 , but OH had convinced himself & me it was the A172 , not forgetting it was in the middle of the night. So of we go straight by the A 162 " Ours is next " he says ,so we kept on & on & on , finally coming to a roundabout he realised it was the A162 as the 172 does not exist ( glad it was his mistake & not mine). After a 15-20 min detour finally got on the A162 Arriving at ponte 30 mins late. Arrived at airport in good time for 9.00 am qatar flight , no complaints there , first time with them , good service, free drinks & food was excellant.

Arrived at dabolim 2.50 am ( airport alot more tolerent at night , no porters ! & straight through immagrations.) Got to our apartment at 4.30 am, it is in the braganza resort but private apartment. (Thanks ann & rick )Went straight to bed .

We woke at 9.00 am & had a good look around the apartment, no complaints , sitting room 2 balconies ,tv, fridge/freezer , bed with SPRUNG MATTRESS (what a difference ) it was everything we hoped for ,Got unpacked had a bite to eat then went off to change some money & pick our bike up, bumped in to an old freind & arranged to meet later at the cricketers.Went to hungry horse for some lunch , much improved there, extended & a lot cleaner looking & the food is just as good.Jet lagg setting in so had a nap or 2 or maybe 3.Went to Harrys bar down the side of manu pub, felt it lacked the same appeal so only time we went.Went to meet our freinds at the cricketers & all changed there , all new staff & was hard gettting them to understand , last orders was 10.45 as you all know , our freind held his glass up & asked the bar man if we can have a quickie in the dark , with a blank look & the indian head shake he said " no sir not tonight ! "

The next few days was just spent relaxing on the beach , found a lovely quiet shack "Alex cafe" ran by candy , lovely person , good food & very peacefull. Ate at some nice places , hungry horse, Elanias, Harrys,hard rock cafe, davids place , oceanic, redonda, gold fish , sea shore , kind men, melting pot, happy clams, to name a few, in our opinion davids being the worse & hungry horse being the best.

Now a little tale about dogs, at the left of the braganza gates there is a right turn wich brings you out at the side of molly malones , we had taken this route a few times previously both day & night but on this particular night has we passed one of huts a dog lunjed at us bearing its teeth , fortunatly it was chained up , but as it was making so much noise this was an alarm for all the strays to gather round us, all barking & bearing thier teeth & getting closer & closer to us, this was so frightening , the only defence we had was OH throwing stones at them & they finally backed of , needless to say we did not go that way again.

Went to the sat night bazar , what a magical place at night so big & a large hippy influence ,& very busy.

Had a ride to old goa , the main pajim road , worse than the m25 ,on our way back we got stopped by police, & I had left OH permit in the room ,the copper rubbed his hands & with pound/ rupee signs in his eyes wrote down 5,000 rupees on his board, then crossed it out & put 2,000, so OH said " I dont carry that sort of money with me "& took 130 rupees out of his pocket & said " thats all i have." ( I carry the money in my bag) so the copper snatched it out of his hand & said go-go.

The next week or so was spent doing the usual , lounging on the beach , anjuna market ( lost its sparkle & sellers getting greedy) Mapsa market (mad mad mad) eating , drinking , even finding away round the booze restrictions (12.00 most nights when we left cricketers as long as we got our last drinksssss at 10.45 was left to drink them)

At the end of our 2nd week OH was in a lot pain with his shoulder & felt he needed to see a doctor , so 4 doctors later , 2 injections numerous tablets he was still in pain so in our final week did not venture as far as we had planned as riding the bike made it worse.

The long awaited elections arrived with the with the dry days 1st 2nd 3rd & 6th of march, first night callangute centre was ghostly quite , shops , restaraunts , bars all closed & no one about, was very strange, there was a large presence of armed soldiers & police down baga road near polling booths.

Sadly our final day arrived( to quickly) set of for the beach & as we got to st anthonys chappel we got caught up in the post election celebrations, oh what an expierience that was , cars & scooters taking most of the road up , flags flying , horns blowing whistles going , music blasting, all to the joy of the locals & we was stook right in the middle of it all so i got the cam corder out & filmed the whole of it , all mad but worth seeing & being a part of it. Spent the rest of the day on the beach recovering from the mahem. We had our final meal at hungry horse then went to cricketers to say bye to every one & by the time we left about 12 freinds we have met over the years had gatherd to say farewell, so with many email adressess & a touch of sadness we made our way to the airport for our 4.00 am flight.

Not such a good flight back OH was in so much pain with his shoulder/neck/arm/ but I enjoyed it lol

Back home now & the jet lag is wearing of , & OH is supporting a neck collar from english docs, as it turns out he as trapped a nerve in the neck ( allways thought it was me that had the pain in the neck)

well i hope you have a good read & i dint bore you all too much bye

sue & andy

north wales
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report 18/02/-11/03

thankyou for the report

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report 18/02/-11/03

Not bored at all I enjoyed it. We all love Goan coppers and dogs!! Lol

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report 18/02/-11/03

Great report enjoyed the read... Not eaten in the Hungry horse for a few years but think I'll get it a try this time as your's & a couple of other views reckon it's worth a go...

Boo

Canvey Island...
Level Contributor
243 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report 18/02/-11/03

great report, never been to the hungry horse and the cricketers will try both next time we visit.

Janis

manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip report 18/02/-11/03

Good report Andsue, we ate in the Hungry Horse a couple of times and the food is very good. It does look a lot better now it's all been done up, last year we gave it a miss because it looked like it needed a lick of paint.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: trip report 18/02/-11/03

You stayed in the same apartment as me and my OH - very nice and great location. We are going back again next year and hope the same apartment is available from Ann & Rick.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip report 18/02/-11/03

Certainly not boring, i loved reading it. Thanks

Jersey UK
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip report 18/02/-11/03

Hi

Great report thanks for posting

Mims

bridlington
Level Contributor
321 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip report 18/02/-11/03

southlondon r u the couple who were in senor angelo (never again)andy

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: trip report 18/02/-11/03

Yes, we were booked for the Senhor Angelo, but JITC contacted us less that 48 hours before we left to say there was building work going on and they re-booked us into the Tio De Carmino, which was a complete dogs pit. Luckily I had been in contact with Ann & Rick through this forum and got the apartment at the Braganza. It was perfect for us and we had a tremendous holiday hence we are going back again next year.

Get answers to your questions about Calangute
Recent Conversations