We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

things to do

brighton
Level Contributor
109 posts
26 reviews
things to do

hi looking at 2 weeks around xmas time with big kids f21 m19 we all like a bit of culture, is there a lot to see and do, we all like to lounge on a beach but also like to get out and about, and what sort of prices would we expect to pay, this probably be the last proper holiday as a family of 4 so would like us all to be happy and a bit for everyone thanks

8 replies to this topic
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
60 reviews
1. Re: things to do

You have posted in Calangute so I assume you are looking to stay there,but if you are not booked yet suggest looking at Candolim wich is the adjacent location but better.

You can also stay in south Goa at a Beach hut for a few days.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,967 posts
119 reviews
2. Re: things to do

My opinion is that Calangute is better than Candolim. Been going over 20 years, stayed all along the main strip and settled in Calangute the last 10 years. Calangute would be particularly better for the youngsters in my opinion.

If you want more of an Indian experience, check out the trip to Hampi, its a long train journey but worth it, the trains are fantastic and a real experience. Food and drink is cheap, we spend £40/£50 a day for the two of us including a few alcoholic drinks.

Calangute, India
Destination Expert
for Goa, Candolim, Calangute
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
109 reviews
3. Re: things to do

I agree with dragonfli much prefer Calangute ,Candolim is now a typical UK tourist town,Calangute still having that Indian feel,as for things to do Try the waterfalls at Dhudsaga in the National Park and you can swim in the falls lake,take day trip to old Goa where the Portuguese originally landed and stop of at the temples on the way home,book a crocodile trip on the river,go on a crab catching trip on the river from Nerul,Wednesday go to Anjuna market,Saturday Ingos market with bands appearing all night,then cross the road for food at Pink Chilli,there’s a few to look at

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
10,952 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: things to do

Just adding to what the previous two posters have recommended, you can take a bus to Betim (around Rs20pp from Calangute) and then jump on free ferry across to Panjim.

Have a 5min wonder around Calangute fish market for some amazing sites.

Hire a taxi to see the falls then stop off at a spice planation for lunch http://www.sahakarifarms.com/

If you have any energy left you can take in the temples of Old Goa.

Taxi approx. Rs2500 for the day (Falls, spice and Old Goa).

We prefer staying in Calangute also but, it is busy in parts but there are some lovely quiet areas.

Wherever you stay you'll receive a warm welcome

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: things to do

It depends on what you want to spend. We used a taxi driver, a friend of a friend, to take us out for the day. We visited a local temple where one of the priests took us aside and gave us a tour of the facility including into a shed where a huge wooden cart which is pulled by hundreds of devotees during a religious festival was sitting out of sight to others. We then went on to a spice farm where after a tour explaining all the different plants we received a meal and the chance for a ride on an elephant or even to wash one in the river.

Next day we had the driver take us to Mandrem Beach which is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen anywhere in the world. He dropped us off around 10am and picked us up again at 6pm. There's a nice shack there for food and drink.

Costs were 1500 and 1200 rupees.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,967 posts
119 reviews
6. Re: things to do

Washing and riding elephants is illegal in Goa, they are very badly treated, most people prefer to avoid that part.

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: things to do

dragonfli, looking past the ethical or moral question of doing it, I remember 4 or 5 years ago the courts there were having a serious look at making it illegal. As far as I'm aware no law as such has been passed.

Level Contributor
2,326 posts
27 reviews
8. Re: things to do

There's a few from ferguslie park in paisley, that could do with a elephant to give them a wash....lol

Reply to: things to do
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Calangute