We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety & airport transportation to hotel in Calangute

Indiana
Level Contributor
28 posts
Safety & airport transportation to hotel in Calangute

My husband and I are looking at traveling to Calangute at the end of September and staying at the Citrus. We will be traveling from the USA. After reading through several forums, I am concerned about safety as I have read that women shouldn't carry purses for fear of being robbed and to bring pad locks to use on hotel safes. Also must be careful exchanging money because many will try to count the money back quickly and rip you off. Am also concerned about airport transportation since I have read the airport is about 1.5 hours away from the hotel. Can anyone give me info about the safety in the area and about transportation to and from the airport?

5 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,962 posts
119 reviews
1. Re: Safety & airport transportation to hotel in Calangute

Get a taxi from the prepay booth at the airport, you will need to pay in rupees, you change a small amount in the airport or use the ATM which is on the left as you exit. You can also get the driver to stop at an ATM on the way.

Yes its best to bring your own padlock, the padlocks they give you for the safes are not secure, one key fits a few.

Count your money carefully before you leave in front of the money changer or just use ATMs.

There have been bag snatches for years, to be honest that should not be much of a worry in September, the season does not start until November so there will not be many international tourists at that time as most things wont be running.

Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Safety & airport transportation to hotel in Calangute

Goa is very safe compared to most tourist places and walking out to restaurants, shops and the beach is not a problem however best to be aware that bag snatching and short changing can happen in the main tourist areas

Short changing is easy to deal with by only changing amounts you know how much to should get and counting the money before you leave the shop, it only tends to happen in small shops that offer a better than average exchange rate but if you use proper forex exchanges like Weston Union you should not have a problem but still count the cash yourself before leaving so a mistake it can be rectified

Bag snatching is a problem all over the world and can only be avoided by not using handbags with shoulder straps, it happens so fast there no time to react and it is devastating but to put it in context it happens to a very small number but still far to many

Goa is very safe compared to most tourist places and walking out to restaurants, shops and the beach is not a problem however best to be aware that bag snatching and short changing can happen in the main tourist areas

Short changing is easy to deal with by only changing amounts you know how much to should get and counting the money before you leave the shop also it only tends to happen in small shops that offer a better than average exchange rate and if you use proper forex exchanges like Weston Union you should not have a problem but still count the cash yourself before leaving so a mistake it can be rectified

Bag snatching is a problem all over the world and can only be avoided by not using handbags with shoulder straps, it happens so fast there no time to react and it is devastating but to put it in context it happens to a very small number but still far to many

A fixed price Taxi from the airport to Calangute currently costs 1100 rupees (16.51 usd) or 1350 (20.27 usd) after 11pm until 5am, the Citrus have a money exchange if you can't get money from the ATM at the airport or get the taxi to stop at an ATM in Calangute

Citrus is a nice hotel with some good restaurants nearby, not sure how many will be open in September but Cafe Lazy Days should be and well worth a visit

Edited: 29 April 2018, 19:00
Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Safety & airport transportation to hotel in Calangute

Don't know why it did that, I edited the post and it reposted in Stereo..lol

Villaricos, Spain
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Safety & airport transportation to hotel in Calangute

Senior moment Rick????? lol

Blues

Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Safety & airport transportation to hotel in Calangute

I have plenty of them what's your name but do tell the lady how good Goa is in general she is obviously worried after reading bad reports yet even you are coming back after singing over here ..lol

Reply to: Safety & airport transportation to hotel in Calangute
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Calangute