We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cash or easyfx card

blackpool
Level Contributor
150 posts
9 reviews
cash or easyfx card

going ion 14 feb always took cash and changed at western union in calangute lower rate but saved hastle of being ripped off by shop traders will i still be able to change big amounts of cash i applied for easy fx card is it easy to use at atms any advice please

38 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
630 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: cash or easyfx card

Hi we are here now and we are using our easyfx cards in atms and restaurants. We would have struggled without them. We have 4 in total so can withdraw 10000 per day on each card at atms. I highly recommend getting them as you can use them worldwide

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
76 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: cash or easyfx card

Hi loveholidays550,

was wondering if you wouldn't mind giving me a bit more info on using your Easyfx card?

We generally just take sterling with us and change it as we go but on your recommendation I have applied for and received one of these cards.

We will be staying in Candolim for the first half of our hol and then down to Palolem for the second half.

Was thinking of loading the card before we went then withdrawing the cash whilst up in the North as I understand from another post that there are issues getting rupees whilst in Palolem.

I have checked today and the rate I can purchase rupees to load onto the card is Rs 79.85. We bank with HSBC so using our debit card would mean a 2.75% fee and the current rate is 80.36 which means it's definately worth us using the Easyfx card.

I guess I'm a little unsure of how easy it will be, as it's a mastercard will I have problems using it? How easy was it for you to use in practice?

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions but just don't want to come unstuck when we're there lol!

Thankyou 😊

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
76 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: cash or easyfx card

Anybody? 😊

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
80 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: cash or easyfx card

Im using the revolut card here and its great. Works anywhere that takes card, at atms, and instantly pings every transaction via the app so you can see what you've spent instantly. Just don't underestimate the ATM issue, and withdraw lots of cash in places like Calangute where there's a lot of atms - rather than than doing what we did and waiting until Vagator, which just has one close atm - which is always empty! The next would be a cab/scooter ride away. Relying on card, with no cash can be quite stressful - and ruins the shopping experience as the stalls only take cash. I'd keep some sterling/euro/dollars on you for changing in emergencies, but the rates will not be as good.

London, United...
Level Contributor
630 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: cash or easyfx card

Hi the easyfx card is really easy to use. You register your normal debit card and use that to load / top up the easyfx card. You then use it exactly the same as a normal debit visa card to withdraw from atms and pay for purchases. You get the current days exchange rate. Most days I used it and checked my balance the rate was 83

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: cash or easyfx card

looks ideal, any charges from the local ATM machine when you withdrew cash please? Also you say it is like using yout normal debit card, which i'm sure it is, however, looking on easyfx site the card shown says Masrecard on it which makes it lok more like a credit card. thanks in advance.

North East England...
Level Contributor
331 posts
72 reviews
7. Re: cash or easyfx card

John R ....MasterCard like Visa is an operating organisation it covers both Credit and Debit cards. The cards you load such as Revolut and easy fx are preloaded and topped up by the holder and operate like a debit Cardin your funds are already there and you are spending your own money and not being given credit as you would with a credit card..

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: cash or easyfx card

thanks for the explanation.

London, United...
Level Contributor
630 posts
23 reviews
9. Re: cash or easyfx card

Hi there were no charges from withdrawing from yes bank atms that I used

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
27 posts
105 reviews
10. Re: cash or easyfx card

Western Union still exchanges USD but gives a poor rate, particularly if your note denominations are below$100 USD. I used a local bank where I was staying and got about 66 INR per USD less 35 INR transaction fee ..... no passport required.

Reply to: cash or easyfx card
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Calangute