We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue Fever

Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Dengue Fever

Will be in Rio for New Years celebration. Have one week after to travel up north but have heard a lot recently about Dengue fever outbreaks in Recife and Natal cities....can anybody advise me as to this mosquitoe driven outbreak and if i need to be concerned about it?? Are mosquitoes really that bad in this part of Brazil?? Thanks for any replys!!

Mentioned in this post
Recife
Recife
State of Pernambuco
Brazil
Brazil
South America
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
24,388 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dengue Fever

Yes, you need to be concerned about dengue fever.

Recife and Pernambuco declare emergency because of dengue:

http://bit.ly/1SnpmUk

To protect yourself against mosquito bites, use DEET. Most insect repellents contain the chemical DEET, which remains the gold standard of currently available mosquito repellents.

Wear trousers and long-sleeved shirts, particularly at dusk.

Sleep only in screened areas

Air-conditioning may reduce mosquito infiltration. Where air-conditioning is not available, fans may be helpful. Mosquitoes appear to be reluctant to fly in windy air.

Do not wear perfume.

Minimize skin exposure after dusk.

“The mosquito's preferred breeding areas are in areas of stagnant water, such as flower vases, uncovered barrels, buckets, and discarded tires, but the most dangerous areas are wet shower floors and toilet tanks, as they allow the mosquitoes to breed in the residence.”

http://bit.ly/13Xtud

“It is a daytime biting mosquito with peaks of feeding in the two to three hours after day break, and the couple of hours before dark. However, indoors or on overcast days the mosquitoes may bite all day.”

http://bit.ly/vy8nSC

Brazil authorizes use of French vaccine against dengue fever:

http://bit.ly/1OqKL91

http://bit.ly/1Oyoxs9

Mentioned in this post
Recife
Recife
State of Pernambuco
Brazil
Brazil
South America
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dengue Fever

Thank you for info. Do you think I should cancel trip up there or go ahead and go up to area using caution.

I do have yellow fever vac. And brought mosquitoe repellant

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
24,388 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dengue Fever

Just use caution and you'll have a great trip, I'm sure.

Basking Ridge, NJ
Level Contributor
14 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dengue Fever

Go to Salvador, a great destination to experience the northeast culture; appears the mosquitos that cause dengue are not biting in Salvador. I lived in both Natal and Recife, great cities, but why take the chance? but if you do go to those cities, stay very near the beach. As the other reviewer stated, the insects don't like the turbulent air near the ocean. But they will congregate about 100 yards from the beach. There is a canal in Boa Viagem, by Domingo Ferreira that is like a spa for mosquitos. Generally speaking, west of the canal, is where the mosquito situation starts. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Salvador
Salvador
State of Bahia
Natal
Natal
State of Rio Grande do Norte
Recife
Recife
State of Pernambuco
Boa Viagem Beach
Boa Viagem Beach
7,091 Reviews
Recife, PE
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dengue Fever

Do you research now and not just on traveler Web sites. Dengue is found in many regions of Brazil, and elsewhere. You can certainly find many authoritative sources on dengue, including www.cdc.gov. There is no vaccination. The nonhermorrhagic strain is usually easily cured IF treated quickly. Zika fever is a more recent concern, especially if the victim is pregnant might becom. BTW, while some areas seem to get more dengue cases than others, I don't think that going to a city like Salvador where someone says the Aedes aegypti ,mosquito (which carries dengue and zika among other diseases) somehow aren't biting is not a good prevention. Only prevention is not to get bit by the mosquito.

Here's more about Zika: nytimes.com/2015/…

Edited: 01 January 2016, 06:44
Mentioned in this post
Brazil
Brazil
South America
Salvador
Salvador
State of Bahia
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dengue Fever

CDC fact sheet http://www.cdc.gov/dengue/fAQFacts/index.html

Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dengue Fever

Thank you so very much for the warnings. I am going further north because I really want to see the cities of recife and natal. I love Brazil...it is a shame that this is going on!!,

Mentioned in this post
Brazil
Brazil
South America
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dengue Fever

Thank you to all that responded to my qestions and concerns about dengue fever. Did go to Recife and used deet as suggested and stayed near beach. Did not get any mosquitoe bites and all good. Did want to pass on to others that Recife/Olinda area was able to see within 3 days. Travelled on my last 4 days to wonderful place called Maceio 45 minute flight south of Recife. It is a beautiful place without mosquitoe issues.

To others...well worth the visit. MUCH prettier beaches here than in Recife.

Mentioned in this post
Recife
Recife
State of Pernambuco
Olinda
Olinda
State of Pernambuco
Maceio
Maceio
State of Alagoas
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
24,388 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dengue Fever

Laron R: Glad to hear you had such a great (mosquito-free) time. Thanks for the report.

seattle
Level Contributor
183 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dengue Fever

A correction to the post by Sutter. There is no cure for dengue but early treatment helps with the symptoms. It is supportive treatment but not curative - sort of like treating a cold, the body cures the virus (or you die). More severe or hemorrhagic should have medical evaluation.

I would still travel to the NE of Brazil even with the risk of Dengue or Zika. Take the appropriate precautions.

Edited: 13 January 2016, 15:39
Mentioned in this post
Brazil
Brazil
South America
;