We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Reife

France
Level Contributor
5,193 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Reife

Hi everybody, we have been in Recife many years ago.

Has somebody been there recently and can tell me about experiences regarding safety.

Has it got worse? What areas to avoid? etc. etc.

Thanks a lot in advance.

6 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
22,853 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Reife

Brazil 2017 Crime & Safety Report: Recife:

http://bit.ly/2hFOTyX

France
Level Contributor
5,193 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Reife

thanks, but this is a general report - such ones we do have in Europe, too.

I am really interested in personal experiences.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
5,700 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Reife

like anywhere in Brazil, there is a great disparity between overall violence and specific neighborhoods.... the most violent areas are those where tourists never set foot.... yes, overall crime has gone up in recent years due to economic recession (probably compared to your last visit)... I assume you are familiar with the general advice for safety in Brazil large cities...

as a tourist, you probably will lodge in Boa Viagem area, where most hotels are... for what it is worth, I never had a problem there, but I dont recommend walking alone at night, take taxis from hotel to restaurant, for example... if you also go to visit the far away Oficina Brennand and/or the Instituto Brennand, you should take a taxi (and probably ask for it to wait, as it may be difficult to find one to get back).

I took regular city buses from Boa Viagem to go to Olinda (and see its historical buildings etc) and back (Olinda is for all practical purposes a neighborhood of Recife, in spite of being technically a different city)... daytime... did not have any problems either... but I am native Brazilian, fluent in Portuguese, etc... and probably know better how to read and deal with potential "danger" signs than non-Brazilians are...

unfortunately there are no Recife-based frequent contributors here in TA, so unlikely to get fresh, on the ground reports...

France
Level Contributor
5,193 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Reife

thank you, Rokatoo for your info. And yes, we are familiar with the general advice for safety in Brazil large cities. (but this is also valid for big cities in Europe and the United States and Mexico City - had no problems there) Have been already in e.g. Rio, Brasilia, Manaus, Fortaleza, Recife and Salvador.

In Salvador I unfortunately forgot to put off my chain and somebody tried to grap it during daylight in a crowded area near Fort Santo Antonio de Barra.

In Recife we also took the bus to the city centre. Sorry cannot speak Portuguese but at least Spanish - this helps a bit...

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
5,700 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Reife

well, if you speak/read Spanish...

... take a look at the Spanish-language version of TripAdvisor... it has far more traffic than here in the English version... simple reason: Argentine tourists are by far the number one visitors to Brazil.... and leave a lot of up-to-date comments about places up and down the Brazilian coastline (they come mostly for sun and sand...)...

in the case of Recife specifically, Argentines tend to use it mostly as a stopping point to go to beaches like Porto de Galinhas and Maragogi... but some do spend a couple of days in Recife and leave comments - far more than you will see from English-speaking tourists (as they are way less numerous):

https://www.tripadvisor.es/ShowForum-g304560…

you may even want to post a question in Spanish there and see what kind of feedback you get.

France
Level Contributor
5,193 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Reife

thanks a lot, will do that.

Reply to: Safety in Reife
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted