We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kolkata airport- exit time and transport

Kolkata (Calcutta...
5 posts
Save Topic
Kolkata airport- exit time and transport

Hey everyone,

I'm picking up a friend from Kolkata airport in a few weeks. He's coming from the US.

I would like to know three things:

1. Since I would have to wait outside, could anyone please tell me how crowded the place gets at around 8 pm?

2. How long should it take my friend to exit the airport?

3. How is the Uber cab service from the airport? Are the drivers decent? Can I book from the app, or do I have to book at a kiosk?

Any information is appreciated. Thanks so much!

6 replies to this topic
Muzaffarpur, India
Destination Expert
for Sikkim, Manali, New Delhi, Darjeeling, Bihar, Katra, Udaipur, Patna
Level Contributor
14,339 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kolkata airport- exit time and transport

Consider aprox 45 min or more to come out.Regarding Uber/Ola my recent experience at Kolkata Airport was not good specially late evening, arrived around 10 and have to get train from howrah,was surprised that there were just 1 or 2 cabs and that too at more than 10 min.In any condition Ola/Uber can be booked through app only.Other option is prepaid cab.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kolkata airport- exit time and transport

How about Mega cabs? Does anyone have any information about their service during late evenings?

Also, is there any way visitors can book a cab from any of the kiosks at the airport? Or is that possible only for passengers?

Thanks so much!

Switzerland
Level Contributor
480 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kolkata airport- exit time and transport

When I used a Mega cab, it had to be called on phone from the office inside; i waited at the curb for a minute or two. I don't know about how to get a cab from outside. How about you come with a hired car yourself, and this way avoid the taxi question. (I know your car would have to wait somewhere a little away from the exit.)

As to how crowded the area is, have a look at this site, see how many planes arrive in your time slot

http://www.flightstats.com/

If 8 pm is the exit time (not the landing time) it is not going to be bad, since there are not many landings around 7. On the other hand 8 pm...

Edited: 06 July 2017, 18:58
Kolkata (Calcutta...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kolkata airport- exit time and transport

Oh dear, I hope I don't get lost :P

The hired car option is the best I think. There's still a lot of time so I'll arrange for something. My only worry is the crowd... I wonder if I would have to push and shove, like it is in the rest of the city...!

Thanks for the help :)

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kolkata airport- exit time and transport

Pushing and shoving doesn't happen at airport. It does not get that much crowded. You will get much space to stand and wait.

However, the main concern at 8 PM will be the traffic all over airport area. If you are coming from South Kolkata, Haldiram and Kaikhali might have heavy traffic at that time. So does Airport 1 No. Gate and 3 No. Gate if coming from North. So plan accordingly.

Along with all from above replies, I would like to add that there are 3 AC bus routes which arrives/departs very near to Airport terminal.

AC37A from Garia, Via New Town

AC39 from Howrah, Via Kakurgachi

AC43 from Golf Green, this too via New Town

From airport I would suggest to go for prepaid taxi from kiosks. App cabs will add drop/pickup charges (about Rs 100-120) if taken to/from Airport terminal.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kolkata airport- exit time and transport

Thanks so much for the information. I really don't mind paying extra, as long as we get to reach home properly. My friend is completely new to India, so I'm not sure he'll be able to figure out the prepaid taxi. We'll be heading to Moore Avenue in Tollygunge, and it's going to be at least 8:45 pm when we start out. I think I'm going to go for app cabs, since it will drop us to our doorstep without hassle.

Reply to: Kolkata airport- exit time and transport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kolkata (Calcutta)