We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prepaid taxi Vs call taxi upon international arrival ?

San francisco...
Level Contributor
43 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Prepaid taxi Vs call taxi upon international arrival ?

My flight arrives into chennai international around 8.30pm. I figure it will take me couple of hours to clear customs and immigration, which puts me around 10.30pm. Since it is so close to 11pm, when extra charges are charged by taxi services, i think i maybe forced to pay that ?

I need to go to Rain Tree Hotel, anna salai (T. Nagar, Tynampet area) upon arrival. From reading the closed thread here, i get the idea that Government Prepaid taxi & Fast-Track call taxi counter in airport are the only two options. (See .... https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g304556-i6778-k6950369-Taxi_Fare-Chennai_Madras_Chennai_District_Tamil_Nadu.html#53743898). My criteria are safety at night time for a single traveler, and comfort. Hotel transport has been ruled out as it seems to be 3 times the cost of services available at airport. Uber, Ola taxi are all ruled out, since i will not have a working cell phone upon arrival into international airport.

My question is which is better between these two choices and how much should i pay, considering i maybe starting between 10 and 12 pm (depending on how much time it takes to clear chennai arrivals section, baggage claim etc). What percentage should i pay as the night time extra charges ? I assume this will be automatically included since both options are prepaid services at airport. Thanks for all suggestions.

15 replies to this topic
India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prepaid taxi Vs call taxi upon international arrival ?

Night charges kick in from 11 pm and are 25% more than the regular charges.

I would advise a call-taxi rather than a pre-paid taxi. Chances of finding an English speaking (broken English at best) driver are higher with call taxis and the cars are more comfortable as well.

The regular charges for a call taxi are INR 100 for 4 km and INR 15/km after 4 km.

San francisco...
Level Contributor
43 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prepaid taxi Vs call taxi upon international arrival ?

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, i will not have access to a phone immediately upon landing. Besides, i do not want to call upon a "call - taxi" and wait for him to arrive at the airport. Then i also have to deal with the issue of finding that person once he arrives. I am also a bit concerned about security of my bags, if i pick something other than the pre-paid taxis offered at the airport. For these reasons, i am simply trying to find out which is the better of 2 evils ..... Fast-track prepaid (which seems to have a counter in airport, from what i gather in this forum) OR should i go with government operated prepaid taxi ? If my experiences in other airports of india are any indication, there maybe numerous others within airport who tout themselves as "pre-paid taxis". I am also trying to avoid this crowd. So, if i should know how to go about finding these counters within the airport, please pass on a tip. Thanks.

India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prepaid taxi Vs call taxi upon international arrival ?

Call taxis have a counter at the airport itself. Go to the counter inside the airport terminal to book one. They would give you a receipt with a taxi number (last 4 digits on the licence plate with a format of TN xx yy xxxx, where x is a digit and y is an alphabet) on it. Look for the taxi number in the pick up point for call taxis.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Prepaid taxi Vs call taxi upon international arrival ?

Great question ... I arrive late, next Thursday evening and was thinking about Uber? Anyone got comment on that option please. ;-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Prepaid taxi Vs call taxi upon international arrival ?

Thank you for your time in reply. Have you any idea what the cost of the Call taxi from the airport would be? Going to central Chennai about midnight. Thanks

San francisco...
Level Contributor
43 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prepaid taxi Vs call taxi upon international arrival ?

I am not sure what you mean by "central Chennai". My hotel (rain tree) is pretty close to the center of things i think. I also read that it is about 14 km from airport. Going by the first response in this thread, you can calculate normal call taxi fare as Rs.250. So, my guess is that a prepaid taxi, taken within airport would cost more than Rs. 300 and it would be less comfortable. Please type in a number, if you know the cost of FAST-track prepaid taxi, for reaching Anna Salai Rain tree. After 11pm, we would have to add 25% surcharge.

In terms of time, it takes about 1 hr to 2 hrs because there is construction and traffic congestion issues (peak hours). At night, with no traffic, it takes about 45 minutes. All this is to reach RainTree hotel, Anna salai. If you are going further towards the railway station, add more time and fare.

Bengaluru, India
Destination Expert
for Bengaluru
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prepaid taxi Vs call taxi upon international arrival ?

<<Thank you for your time in reply. Have you any idea what the cost of the Call taxi from the airport would be? Going to central Chennai about midnight. Thanks>>

Roughly INR 300-500/-

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Prepaid taxi Vs call taxi upon international arrival ?

Thanks for your reply Poyfish.

I'm staying about 300m north of Raintree so you've given me a good idea.

San francisco...
Level Contributor
43 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prepaid taxi Vs call taxi upon international arrival ?

On a related note, is there someone here with knowledge of chennai traffic patterns ? I am wondering how bad the traffic and construction delays would be, between 9am and 12 noon. I guess the metro construction is a factored in affair by now, in terms of how much delay that causes ? During this time period, i need to go from Raintree Anna Salai back to the airport. So far i am getting the impression that peak traffic delays occur only in the evening between 5pm to 9pm. Is this correct ?

chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
4,350 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prepaid taxi Vs call taxi upon international arrival ?

hi poyfish,

Yes 9 am to 12 noon also peak traffic hours with congestion due to blocks occupied by Metro train construction department...you will see them in Mount road when you arrive to your hotel

I think you start 1 or 1.5 hour earlier than your check in time in Airport which is enough

Reply to: Prepaid taxi Vs call taxi upon international arrival ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted