We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for a family in Jaipur in August and must-see list

Which Jaipur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
160 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel for a family in Jaipur in August and must-see list

I am looking for a hotel in Jaipur for a family with 2 kids. Pearl Palance is listed at number 1 but it is so inexpensive. Is this a good palace for a family? I am not looking for a backpacker hotel and neither am I looking for a 5 star. A 3 or a 4 star by US standards will be good.

Also, I have 2 days. Which places should I not miss? I made this list... not sure whether this is a good list:

Amber palace, Hawa Mahal, Monkey temple, chowki-dani, 1/2 day shopping

Thanks,

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,080 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel for a family in Jaipur in August and must-see list

There are several comfortable hotels in Jaipur which are modern, clean and of the type you describe as a standard 3 or 4 star. Try Ramada Jaipur, or Golden Tulip, or Royal Orchid if you are looking for that sort of hotel.

New Delhi
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel for a family in Jaipur in August and must-see list

You may go for Jai Mahal Palace, Trident and Holiday Inn also. trident is little away but faces the now restored lake and is good for early morning elephant ride to Amer, as the no. of these trips have been capped.

We have booked many tour groups in these and many other Jaipur hotels, in this category the best feedback has been for the Jai Mahal Palace.

3. Re: Hotel for a family in Jaipur in August and must-see list

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 June 2009, 04:35
Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
308 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel for a family in Jaipur in August and must-see list

At TA many people are doing same including our DE, except few viewer ……..its becoming more and more worse day by day……direct and indirect everyone looking for same, Osiya, Magic, Namaste, TG so many popular name at TA, ………..so its not a strange at all

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,603 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel for a family in Jaipur in August and must-see list

SR1980,

Right Bro ! Many DEs are also into the same thing. Sometimes they try to scare people some times they drop hints, sometimes they trounce entire localities also.

vacai,

I have stayed at Pearl Palace myself. It's a very nice place. I have recommended it many times (see the link tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g304551-i3482-k268… and if you do not crave fancy gardens and huge restaurants of big hotels, will recommend here also.

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,179 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel for a family in Jaipur in August and must-see list

Vacai..dont worry about Pearl Palace being inexpensive. I have found with my experience that there is no correlation between the price of a hotel and its quality. So if youre looking for mini bars (that fleece you), central airconditioning (that gives you a cold), exorbitant food & bar prices (guaranteed..here is a direct correlation with room rates), swimming pools that give you nasal congestion or worse then pls do go ahead use the more expensive though safely 5 star options suggested. However if youre looking for a clean room, hygenic bathroom, personal touches of the owner's presence and friendly staff, then stick to your choice of Pearl Palace and if that is not available then Arya Niwas (www.aryaniwas.com). These two hotels are the epitome of what I consider hotels any sensible value conscious traveller would stay in.

Avoid Chokhi Dhani unless you have an iron clad stomach. What is this Monkey temple? There's Galta and there area a lot of monkey there. Its not a monkey temple but a Surya Temple. Go for a great view of the city but be prepared for a good hard climb. Id recommend this only if have more than 3 nights in Jaipur.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,080 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel for a family in Jaipur in August and must-see list

The typical must-see places in Jaipur are:

1. Amer Fort (go early in the morning to ensure you get the elephant ride to the fort). You can buy an audio-guide if you like.

2. City Palace and Museum (there's an audio-guide here as well, as part of your ticket)

3. Hawa Mahal (most people just stop and photograph it from the streetfront. I went behind and upstairs just to see what the women up there felt like looking down, and it was interesting to stare down at the street from the windows)

4. Observatory (this is a good experience if you have someone knowledgeable to explain it to you, otherwise it can be wearying)

My favourite things in Jaipur are really its streets and bazaars. Life here still continues in old ways. If you like photography then walking through the markets can be really fun.

Two weeks ago I visited a paper-making factory in Sanganer, where hand-made paper is created from waste. I really liked the whole tour. I also went to a blue pottery workshop, and a tie-and-die workshop. I've also watched jewellery work being done in some small shops. Jaipur's crafts are very famous, so I like these kind of places. They may not be very good for the kids though.

The temple at Galta is nice if you have more time in Jaipur. If you do go, then rhesus macaques are aggressive monkeys, so tell the kids not to get friendly with them.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel for a family in Jaipur in August and must-see list

Wonderful Responses. Thanks.

Deepa: I like your suggestions of hotels, escepially Royal Orchid and Golden Tulip. Also, thanks much for your listing of attractions. Sure, we will like the audio tour and will take advantage of that.

NJPai: Thanks for your response. I am hoping for AC and good Internet connection. We can live without expensive bars but I can't wait for all the tasty vegetarian food.

Someone suggested Krishna palace (or place). I don't think it is listed in TA. Is that any good?

Our plan is to arrive in Jaipur in the late train from Agra on Tuesday. (I have a question on Agra and Delhi which I will post seperately, I don't want to crowd this thread).

Wednesday and Thursday is in Jaipur. We take an early morning flight (Jetair) to Chennai on Friday. Apart from attractions, I would like to leave some time for shopping, escepially ethnic silver jewellery.

Is the elephany ride to Amber fort safe and worth it? Or should I travel by car instead? I have 2 kids who would like to take the elephant ride.

My kids also want to see puppet shows or ethnic dances etc. Is that possible? If so, where?

Thanks to all of you,

New Delhi
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel for a family in Jaipur in August and must-see list

Hi vacai,

Elephant ride to Amber fort is a lovely experience. You should do it, the kids will just love it.

However, if you wish to visit Jaigarh and Nahargarh forts too, you'll have to hire a car anyway.

The not to be missed places are City Palace, Hawa Mahal (the palace of winds) and the famous observatory which houses world's biggest sundial.

You may visit the Monkey Temple (Galta temple) also. It is located at the outskirts of city on Ajmer Road. Give yourself a half day for this excursion.

For puppet show and the Ethnic Kalbelia dance of Rajasthan, you may dine one evening at Rajputana Palace (Sheraton affiliate) where these are performed daily. Both these are available at Chokhi Dhani also. If you are ready for some spicy Indian food, then nothing beats an evening at Chokhi Dhani. There you have small Camel and elephant rides too !

As regards your shopping, there are numerous silversmiths in Johri Bazar (Jewellers Market) and Sindhi camp.

During my last trip I visited a small setup where the traditional dyes that were used to color Amber fort are still manufactured the old way.

We visited many silversmith's workshops also for a behind the scenes view, it's magical to watch people still following the traditional ways of jewellary making.

On the same visit while taking our tour group to the Chokhi Dhani, we visited a Sanganer household, to witness the craft of making of famous Sanganeri Fabric with the blockprints.

Jaipur has all this and much more.......

Cheers !

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,080 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel for a family in Jaipur in August and must-see list

The ephiphany ride, hah! Love your description. The ride is quite short, maybe 10 minutes or so. You drive upto the bottom of the Fort and then take the elephant for the short ride up. I've done it myself, you feel very touristy of course, and wish to hell it wasn't so cheesy, but it's also real fun for kids. Mounting and dismounting and posing for photos is fun. Tip the mahout for better pictures. By the way there are longer elephant safaris in Jaipur, that go into the countryside surrounding Amer, and it is followed by dinner. You may wish to consider those, there are reviews on TA Jaipur for these safaris.

As for Choki Dhani, cheesy cheesy cheesy. The shows and rides are practised, the dancers accomplished, but the smiles are tired and mostly fake and mostly geared towards tips. Having just returned from a day among villagers, whose genuine warmth and 1000-watt smiles amazed me, I feel the contrast very sharply. But the experience is fun for kids and adults, if you don't go expecting something classy. The food is so-so.