We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to take to India?

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
249 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
What to take to India?

I wil, be travelling in India soon and wondered if there is anything I definitely should take to India, whether it be an item of clothing, a medicine, loo paper, I don't know but thought there might be something that I might overlook when packing. Is there anything i should take to give away to children etc?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
201 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to take to India?

I always take a microfibre towel - one of the ones from a camping shop. In some of the places you stay you might not get a towel or it might not be particularly nice. I usually carry travel packs of tissues and wet wipes. I know a lot of people take antiseptic hand gels but I don't believe they are necessary just for travel. You might want to carry loo paper but you can buy it there.

Oh yes. I have found immodium useful.

Edited: 23 September 2012, 20:30
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
15,820 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to take to India?

Definitely take at least a couple of rolls of loo paper. I also take a jar of raspberry jam to put on my toast each morning to stave off the dreaded graunches. Moisturiser (don't use the stuff in the hotels) and all your own toiletries.

It's best not to take stuff to give away to children as you'd need a truckload to satisfy each of the children who would gather around you in a flash if they saw that you were giving away things. It also encourages a begging culture.

We never ever give anything to beggars, especially money anywhere when we travel but have sometimes given cooked food in a take away container when we see somebody who is obviously in very dire straits but isn't begging. You'll see beggars everywhere and I'm sorry to have to tell you that it is in fact an industry, whereby the beggars themselves get very little from what they are given. It's a seriously evil business that makes a lot of people very rich.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
201 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to take to India?

I meant to say that I often stay in budget accommodation. If you stay in mid range or luxury hotels they'll be well supplied with towels etc.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
249 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to take to India?

Thank you both very much..very helpful info. I can see this trip is goingbto have it's own particular challenges!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to take to India?

You can but hand sanitizer there; it is my best friend in India and I always carry a small pack with me at all times, using frequently and not just after washing my hands after using the loo.

Don't bother with immodium or any pharmaceutical stuff as you can buy it all there, much cheaper too. Suggest you go to a chemist whe you arrive and ask for 'yellow bombs' (immodium) and always carry 2 at all times; if you get the grumbly stomach then you can take them immediately. Carry 4 and you can offer 2 to anyone you meet out and about who might need them!

All toiletries can be bought there, good quality and cheaper than you will used to be paying. I am a huge fan of Himalaya Herbals products (except for their sun tan lotions) and their moisturisers, lip balm, toothpaste, foaming neem facial wash etc are all so good that you will want to take some home with you too! Shampoo, I also buy there - I buy small sachets of Vatika brand shampoo at 1 or 2 rupees a sachet. You will find it in most little mini-market type places; it also contains a conditioner. So good I bring strips of the sachets home and use them for trips to other parts of the world.

Shower gel and sun tan lotion are the only things I like to take with me. You can get sun lotion there, but I do like my Boots Soltan brand. Make sure you buy sun tan lotion from a chemist or a mini-market/supermarket if you do need to top up your suppose; also make sure you buy a very water resistant brand so that it doesn't evaporate off your skin if you're at a very hot destination! Himalaya Herbals sun lotion is not very water resistant and it just evaporated off my skin at the beach (not even in the water!) and it is the only time I have got sunburn in India! Also, shower gel is a bit of a new thing there and I think it is relatively expensive and not very good quality (I once bought some which had quite unnecessary and bizarre bits of glitter in it!). Shower gel is also good for washing out your smalls as the detergent is very concentrated. I can make 250ml last a fortnight.

A sarong in your day bag is very useful; you can use it as a headscarf if you visit a mosque or a Sikh temple. You can cover up your shoulders if the sum is intense or for modesty. If you end up staying out late, you can use it as a wrap when the mossies come out at sunset/dusk or just to take the evening chill away slightly.

I do not give children any money or and candy/lollies. If you see street situations about which you would like to help do something, look at charities and organisations working with those people and make a small don'ation to help them do their work. International charities and organisations quite often have donation points at airports. You might also want to research some organisations after you return if you have been affected by any situations to such a degree that you wish to assist in a small way and think about making them a regular small donation - it will keep alive the good memories of your holiday, there may be some tax relief in making the donation (we have something called Gift Aid in the UK where a UK registered charity can claim back basic rate income tax, increasing the amount of the donation) and it will help the agency to plan its future projects in that area.

Enjoy your visit to India; if you enjoy it only half as much as I do, you will be totally hooked and will be back there again before you know it!

Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to take to India?

Many NGOs such as Goonj accept books,clothing,for children. You could look at their website and that of Udayan care to see what they need. There are many other good NGOs as well and your contribution in kind would be well received.As Londonraffles has suggested one of the UK charities supports Bas Foundation run by the same people who offer rooms at Tikli Bottom in Gurgaon near Delhi. Run by a delightful Welsh couple.

nuneaton
Level Contributor
633 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to take to India?

there are some good tips above about things to take to India and will be useful to you,but above all take an open mind and see as much as you can in the given time , it will help you see it for real ,for what it is.

where abouts are you heading for ?? wherever ,use tuk tuks ,rickshaws,metro in cities etc and you will enjoy,good luck, great experience and safe travells. Dave

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to take to India?

I always visit my doctor before a trip to get antibiotics for stomach bugs, so far I've never had to use them but it gives me peace of mind to know that I have tdon't pack much you can buy light clothes and pashminas in India for a few rupees.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
249 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to take to India?

Thank you all so much, have taken on board all your suggestions and have made a note of both the yellow bombs and the Himalayan Herbals,!!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to take to India?

all great advice. I was going to chime in about taking a shawl/head scarf but them someone did :)

the only other thing I wanted to say was that don't buy sunscreen there, the only kind I could find make your skin whiter, it has chemicals in it to bleach your skin!

what those women go though in the name of beauty...

so sad :(

Jo