We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kandy to Negombo by bus and/or train via the airport.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kandy to Negombo by bus and/or train via the airport.

Hi we will be in Kandy and could take the last (mid afternoon?) train back to Colombo but are catching a 7.30am flight the next morning from the international airport. What is the best advise and quickest way to get back to the airport from Kandy, first to collect our left luggage before staying our last night in Negombo. Am willing to try a train/bus combination as would prefer the train. Any suggestions on routes, names of transfer towns etc. Will be travelling on a Friday. Many thanks.

2 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,547 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kandy to Negombo by bus and/or train via the airport.

Hi there,

Buses Kandy-Airport-Negombo are frequent until around 4 PM after that 'should be evening and night buses too but not confirmed enough. Leave the bus at airport (see top question on public transport for a map) near T1 (Departures), no need to go via B-G bus stand. After that best to take tuktuk from near T1 to Negombo, bus would be complex (first walk to B-G and then not that much chance of frequent service from there).

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

New Zealand
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kandy to Negombo by bus and/or train via the airport.

Thanks again Erik, you the man for top tips. No doubt you will come to my assistance again as I am just putting together a whirlwind 4 night tour of Sri Lanka. So wish could be staying longer, but this journey is a bonus due to extending a stopover with Sri Lankan airlines. Have not even been there yet, but already know I will be back again with more time to enjoy the sights, culture, food and of course meeting the locals.

Reply to: Kandy to Negombo by bus and/or train via the airport.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kandy