We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Ella

Currumbin, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Ella

How far in advance would I need to book train to Ella in September. Reading posts about people misslng out .. don't want to be disappointed. Is this the most scenic of train journeys? Any help appreciated.

6 replies to this topic
Ambalangoda, Sri...
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Ella

Hi,

For on line (Internet ) bookings such as Exporail & Rajhadani express you can try start of Aug earliest, once they release booking for particular day.

For SLR booking (via third party agent) only 30 days a head.

BRgds

Edited: 09 April 2017, 15:47
Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
948 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Ella

Neither exporail nor rajahandi are currently running so you'll need to use your travel agent or a 3rd party co.

Ambalangoda, Sri...
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Ella

Yes, 'Currently', But after 20th Apr Colombo-Badulla stretch will be available.

BRgds

Currumbin, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Ella

I am an independent traveller and not using a travel agent.. could I book once in Colombo .. would be about a week to 10!days prior to train travel ??

Ambalangoda, Sri...
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to Ella

If you refer Expo (Which is currently have issues), can be reserve at Colombo office once you are here, but as per availability. Other option is online booking via internet.

http://www.exporail.lk/

'Third party agent' mean not travel agent. They are booking train tickets for you. All explain in top questions.

BRgds

Edited: 09 April 2017, 17:55
Currumbin, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to Ella

Ok great , thanks for the advice. Seems like on line in August is the best option .

Reply to: Train to Ella
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted