We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kandy to Nuwara Eliya - Tissamaharama (Train/Driver advice)

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Kandy to Nuwara Eliya - Tissamaharama (Train/Driver advice)

Due to the popular time of year next week the trains are totally sold out. So i'm looking for a plan B

A)To get from Kandy to Nuwara Eliya, i still have the option for an unreserved train? So i could turn up at Kandy station on the day and buy a ticket that way, or even better travel to Peradeniya and get a ticket from there instead? What about luggage if i opt for that, we'll have two backpacks/holdalls?

B) I also need to get from Nuwara Eliya to Tiss, it seems the easiest way to do that would be a private driver, i guess i could hire the driver over two days to get me from Kandy all the way to Tiss.

If i go for option B what's the best way to find a fair driver in either Kandy or Nuwara Eliya? Usually for Asia i've found numerous options in the forums of TA but there doesn't seem to be much for Sri Lanka

3 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,776 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kandy to Nuwara Eliya - Tissamaharama (Train/Driver advice)

Hi there,

A] Definitely a few stations earlier yes, Kadugannawa-Pilimatalawa-Peradeniya but do check schedule. Luggage is same standing or seating, just near you or (smaller ones) at the racks above the seat.

B] Just ask around in Eliya, fair price maths are in top question on private transport.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kandy to Nuwara Eliya - Tissamaharama (Train/Driver advice)

thanks Erik, i just have visions of spending the day wandering around Eliya looking for a driver...but i'm sure i'm just being pessimistic

I was under the impression the racks above the seats would be big enough for a backpack but perhaps they're not as big as i'm imagining?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,776 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kandy to Nuwara Eliya - Tissamaharama (Train/Driver advice)

Yes should be, Seat61 (referred to from top question) has some pics of the Blue Trains. And in Lanka offers come wandering around Eliya looking for you, not other way round ;-)

E+S

Reply to: Kandy to Nuwara Eliya - Tissamaharama (Train/Driver advice)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted