We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another train question

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
168 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Another train question

Hello,

we need to travel from Kandy to ella on the 17th of April, the agency told us the train is fully booked already :(

Did i read somewhere in the forums that we might be able to catch the train from the station before Kandy, or something like that?

What is my best option apart from the private driver? I'm gutted :(

9 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
168 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another train question

I read about boarding the train in Kadugannawa but mid April seems very busy, if we get there and we are unable to board what are the options?

2. Re: Another train question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 March 2017, 11:59
Edited: 22 March 2017, 11:59

Negombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another train question

hi

in mid April All the Trains will be Full but Apart from Pre-Booking option you can Get in to Train with Normal Class Ticket which is Cheaper but Your Seats are not Reserved, It's Chance to get seat or you might have to Travel by Standing but Trains will be Packed as Sinhalese & Tamil New Year Season Holidays in mid April.

Thank you & Enjoy Amazing Sri Lanka

ALT

Kutchan-cho, Japan
Level Contributor
188 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another train question

I will not gamble on the train or bus and will hire a car instead. Train will be very crowded as well as buses. There are lot few buses on these April holidays.

Car and driver hires will also difficult to find if you don't book in advance.

Let's see what others have to say before making a decision.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,771 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another train question

Yes get a normal ticket and board 1-2 stations before Kandy. Then you have a chance getting a seat at Kandy when many other people leave, before those on the platform make a chance.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
386 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another train question

yes April can be crowded.. But you traveling on 17th April..

That is the first monday after the festival time ( after a long holiday).. SO most of people are going to work on that day.. also that is the time lost of people go back to Colombo from other cities. But kandy to Ella is the opposite side so there will be less local crowd traveling on that time from Kandy to Ella leg.

Because of that reason I'm pretty sure it will be not a problem to catch the train from Kadugannawa. best is to buy a 2n class ticket.. just in case can use it in 3rd class carriage too

Hope it helps

Rajitha

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another train question

If you are a tough traveller then you can buy a ticket at the station for a second class carriage (seating is only reserved in first class and observation car). You can sit in the open doorway and see the stunning scenery that way. There is really great info on this web site: http://www.seat61.com/SriLanka.htm

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,771 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another train question

Well info in #7 is partly incorrect. As Seat61 also explains, Blue Trains have 1st class (all reserved), 2nd class reservable AND unreservable and 3rd class again both types. But yes advice remains, worth a try.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Another train question

We are having the same problem having been told by the agency that its booked. What did you decide to do? Taxi?

Reply to: Another train question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted