We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Binara Poya

Hull, England
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Binara Poya

HI

I have been doing more research(!!!)

and think I have discovered that the Binara Poya Full Moon falls on 22 September.

My itinerary has me staying at Amaya Lake in Dambulla and I have planned a morning visit to Sigiriya Rock Fortress and an evening safari in Minneriya National Park

Will these activities be affected by the Full moon festival?

What actually happens? I note it is a buddhist festival that takes place on full moon days and that they generally go to their temples for worship etc but does that mean that the cultural attractions will be closed? Or does it mean they will be really busy due to the events of the day?

Some tips please!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Binara Poya

Sigiriya Rock Fortress and safaris in Minneriya National Park are not affected by Poya days.

Hans

Hull, England
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Binara Poya

Will my driver still be working if it is a bank holiday?

Will the hotel staff be fewer?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,493 posts
226 reviews
3. Re: Binara Poya

Yes, drivers and hotel staff continue to work. A few shops in towns might be closed, that's all - and a no-booze rule in the hotel if that concerns you.

Have fun,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Hull, England
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Binara Poya

Thanks,

I am sure we can cope a day without alcohol !!!!

So in all the "touristy" things I would want to see on that day will be ok, my driver will still be in action and I will still be served food somewhere (just not beer!!!)

Thanks again for the help!

5. Re: Binara Poya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2011, 17:56