We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel Belgrade-Podgorica or the other way

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
870 posts
55 reviews
Train travel Belgrade-Podgorica or the other way

Hi all,

In a bit of a dilemma here. :)

I heard that the train route Belgrade-Podgorica or Podgorica-Belgrade is worth doing for the sights.

My dilemma, if I do not take this train, I only have to stay in Podgorica 1 night and have 3.5 days in Belgrade.

If I take this train, I have to stay in Podgorica 2 nights and that means one night less in Belgrade (with this option I will have 2.5 days in Belgrade).

And during the stay in Belgrade, I am hoping to make a trip to Novi Sad.

I have looked at it from every possible angle and there is no way of getting around this with my schedule. I cannot stay longer.

Should I make the train trip and lose one day in Belgrade or not?

Also I have heard that the train journey is often delayed and the condition of the train is not so good. And there may be people smoking inside? However, this info are mostly 1 year old. Are these info still valid?

Thanks. :)

Zabljak, Montenegro
Level Contributor
371 posts
1 review
1. Re: Train travel Belgrade-Podgorica or the other way

Firstly Podgorica has nothing at all to a see.

Second your old research is still valid, the train is delayed (13+ hours), people do smoke inside and currently the route from Belgrade is at night. So althoigh the beautiful parts are in Montenegro and you will see this at sunrise the rest of the journey is in the dark.

To come all that way just to say you took the train ..... I would maybe save it for another trip!

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
870 posts
55 reviews
2. Re: Train travel Belgrade-Podgorica or the other way

Hi Gina.

Thanks for the reply.

So the morning train (09:10 train) from Belgrade to Podgorica is not running?

In any case... I've almost made up my mind to skip the train ride. :)

Zabljak, Montenegro
Level Contributor
371 posts
1 review
3. Re: Train travel Belgrade-Podgorica or the other way

Aah. Maybe I am mistaken and this one does in fact run.... Hmm my apologies.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,264 posts
400 reviews
4. Re: Train travel Belgrade-Podgorica or the other way

In 2014 the day train did not run as far as Belgrade, due to works on the tracks. I don't know in 2015.

Zabljak, Montenegro
Level Contributor
371 posts
1 review
5. Re: Train travel Belgrade-Podgorica or the other way

Yes your right Pierre but where it has not been fixed they re routed. So it has been running for a while now.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
134 posts
1,167 reviews
6. Re: Train travel Belgrade-Podgorica or the other way

Does anyone know if the Podgorica to Belgrade day train is expected to run in September?

Thanks.

7. Re: Train travel Belgrade-Podgorica or the other way

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2016, 14:15
Get answers to your questions about Podgorica