We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carretera a La Concepción (La Mariposa) to Isla de Ometepe

Los Angeles...
1 post
Carretera a La Concepción (La Mariposa) to Isla de Ometepe

Greetings All!

I am traveling to Nicaragua for the first time and am looking for advice on the cheapest way to get from La Mariposa Eco-Lodge to Ometepe. Travel dates: 8/30/14 - 9/1/14.

Please weigh in if you can; I would love to hear the pros and cons of each suggestion.

Thanks so much in advance!

Edited: 15 August 2014, 07:06
Hopkins, Belize
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: Carretera a La Concepción (La Mariposa) to Isla de Ometepe

cheapest way would be to take a local public bus headed to Managua. Get off at the Ticuantepe rotunda (km 14 carretera a masaya), and then catch a Managua-Rivas bus heading south. (alternatively, catch a managua-granada bus from the rotunda, and transfer in granada to a granada-rivas bus. The Managua-Granada buses are far more frequent)

If you are worried about getting off at the rotunda and standing around, you could take the bus all the way into Managua, and then catch the Managua-Rivas bus from the bus terminal in Managua, but it will add an hour on to your trip.

Total trip to Rivas should cost you less than 3 dollars.

Once in Rivas you can catch a cab to the ferry for a buck or two, or walk the 2km for free if you are really looking for the cheapest way.

Edited: 15 August 2014, 09:38
Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
918 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Carretera a La Concepción (La Mariposa) to Isla de Ometepe

Greetings Rosa:

Good choice with Mariposa Spanish School, I hope you enjoy and learn a lot!

Taking local buses; since you are in La Concha, you want to take the local bus going to Jinotepe, not Managua. Then Jinotepe to Nandaime and finally Nandaime to San Jorge, then the ferry across to the island.

More bus schedules here: http://thebusschedule.com/EN/ni/

Cheers, Mike @ Farmstay El Portón Verde, Managua

Hopkins, Belize
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: Carretera a La Concepción (La Mariposa) to Isla de Ometepe

that route is faster according to the map, but i took that route once, and ended up waiting a good while for the transfer (over an hour), im not sure if there were less buses, or if its just a fluke and we missed a bus passing or something, or maybe one wasnt running that day.......which wouldnt surprise me. Thats the only reason i didnt recommend that route personally.

4. Re: Carretera a La Concepción (La Mariposa) to Isla de Ometepe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2015, 15:16