We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charco Verde

Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Charco Verde

Hello there,

has anyone by any chance has stayed at Charco Verde very recent?

We are planning a trip by 3rd week of August and all of Villa Paraiso is booked and I see Charco Verde is nice by the website....any inputs?

Thank you,

Sharon

santa fe, NM
Level Contributor
187 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Charco Verde

We stayed at both Charco Verde and the Villa Paraiso in March 2007. We prefered Villa Paraiso significantly (is this really the input you want since you have no choice?)... the beach is much nicer at VP. But you can walk a bit from Charco to a nicer beach than the one right in front of the hotel. We had a problem with a pack rat in our first cabina at CV but the management moved us to a nicer cabina (although with no view of the ocean). We liked the folks at both hotels... if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them!

Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Charco Verde

thanks for the input...I would have rather stayed at VP but everything is booked for the dates that I want to allocate to Ometepe, and came across Charco Verde which has a nice website but did not find any comments on any of the websites I have visited.

I have heard the VP is a nice beach, than CV as you mentioned but figured the beach is has to be near. It seems from the web that CV has more activities to do, is that so (more than VP)?

Was the food and the price for the lodging about the same?

Was VP cleaner thtn CV or both about the same?...I see you had a rat problem at CV, do not mind rats but do worry about roaches (that is is the only insect that I really reject from nature)...I know that sounds funny ;-)

I actually came across another hotel that had good ratings/comments called La Omaja, owed by an american in Ometepe, the only negative I found was about the bathrooms, but the website, it seems simple and modest, and to be closed to the waterfalls, the only downside is that is not close to any beach I think, it seems more secluded.

Any other places that you visited while in Nicaragua that I should not miss?

We are planning on going, staying 2 nights in San Juan Del Sur of course, Granada, a couple of nights. Go for a day excursion to Managua to the museums, dying to see the footprints left years ago.

The only one I am undecided is Leon and do want to got to Selva Negra but heard the cabins are a bit rundown so I rather just visit on a day kind of thing, although, I would have loved to stayed there?

Did you do Selve Negra or Leon? I hear there are some hot springs near Leon which are a must see plus a nice museum.

I will be in Nicaragua for 15 days.

Any other inputs are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Sharon

santa fe, NM
Level Contributor
187 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Charco Verde

Yes, you did have a few more questions! I'll give my best shot at answering them! We were in Nica for 4 weeks but traveled slowly... and did enjoy getting a feel for the places we stayed!

On Ometepe, the beach directly in front of Charco Verde is quite pretty to look at, however, as you walk out into the lake, the bottom is very slimy and mushy with some weird stuff (a couple of inches, at least). There were also midges. Definitely a fair amount of moskies at sunset so bring your repellent. The whole island does have an amazing insect life and walking around at night with a flashlight was totally a trip - I don't recall any roaches but saw some unbelievable stag beetles and huge spiders! I was told by a local ex-pat american that the beaches on the CV side of the island are affected by pollution from the mainland around Rivas but really have no idea if the VP side of the island is actually less polluted! My impression of the beach that's walking distance from CV is that it has a sandy bottom and is nice for swimming - we didn't know about it and were told after we left CV that it was nice.

CV was a bit cheaper than Villa Paraiso for food and lodging (about 20% is my estimate). Really, the level of cleanliness at both were fine. In our first cabina at CV, the pack rat had snuck in through the shower drain but that's an easy thing to fix... it was, however, incredibly bold about climbing up on the beds and leaving its calling card! Jungle life!

The hotels all offer pretty much the same tours at similar prices. Don't miss the Ojo del Aqua as it's incredible... but an organized tour isn't necessary unless your spanish is non-existent. We took the local buses and walked up the 1/2 mile to the entrance... a beautiful lane shaded by mango trees with resident monkeys! We spent all day there and loved the little cantina! We found folks on the island very helpful and friendly and sometimes hitchhiked instead of waiting for the buses. Perhaps organized tours if you're in a hurry and have a specific destination, for example hiking the volcano where a guide is necessary.

I know nothing about La Omaja and never heard it discussed.

In SJDS, I recommend the horseback riding (organized from the Villa Isabella) and the Flying Frog canopy Tour ( a zipline). Also liked seeing the surfing beaches north of town. If you have a bit of extra time, we thought Rivas well worth a stop...don't miss the Hacienda Museum or being taken for a ride in the bicycle taxis! What a hoot!

In Granada, we stayed at the Casa San Francisco (a great place) and had them arrange a kayaking tour of the isletas, horseback riding on the volcano (fab! with the most beautiful horses), a zipline tour in the national park and a visit to the craft villages and the Laguna de Apoyo. We loved Granada and although we spent a week there, we happily would have stayed longer!

Consequently, we did not visit Leon (next trip!) or other northern areas. And we also missed the Corn Islands!

FYI, it does take a while to get from place to place. The roads can be very poor and things (like buses and ferries) don't always work like clockwork. So perhaps build in a bit of a fudge factor when scheduling!

Hope this helps!

mexico
Level Contributor
145 posts
4. Re: Charco Verde

If you haven't already left, don't miss Esteli. It's full of history and I met Daniel Ortega there...you might get lucky as well :-)

I am leaving in two weeks and will go to Leon this time (missed it my last two trips) Esteli for the third time and Granada for the second time.

So I guess you can see I think Esteli is worth the trip.

Anyway have fun....if you have gone and returned, I hope you had a great time

5. Re: Charco Verde

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 04:22