We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perhentian or Tioman. Please HELP!

Which Pulau Perhentian Besar hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
56 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Perhentian or Tioman. Please HELP!

I have actually completed my PADI Open Water Diver certification here in Vietnam.

I have a business trip to Malaysia in the end of April and am planning to extend the trip by taking a holiday in the long weekend (28 Apr to 1 May).

We are 2 couples. 1 couple (mine) has an infant daughter (slightly less than 2 yrs old) and another couple has 1 kid daughter (9 yrs). All adults can snorkel while I am the only certified diver. Since we have gone to Redang and our options are limited to peninsular Malaysia (other other couple stay in KL), we have zeroed in on Tioman and Perhentian Islands. My queries are:

1. Which island is better in terms of:

a. Visibility

b. Marine life

2. Accomodation that we are getting are:

a. Tioman – Berjaya (400 RM per night for std chalet with BF)

b. Perhentian – Coral View Island Resort (270 RM without BF) and Bubbles Dive Resort (180 RM without BF)

3. My worries are:

a. Tioman- Visibility and Marine life would good, not spectacular

b. Perhentian-Accomodation would be basic, not at all luxurious (as per Tripadvisor), far from KL

4. Postitives for both the islands are:

a. Tioman-Luxurious accommodation (Berjaya), Availability of non-sea activities (trekking to waterfall etc.), proximity to KL

b. Perhentian-Great marine life and visibility, more exotic

We are really torn between the two. Can fellow travel enthusisasts help us decide? Really need help.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perhentian or Tioman. Please HELP!

You have already summed up the pro and cons pretty well. Ultimately it is your decision to make. Just decide which of the pros/cons are more important to you.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perhentian or Tioman. Please HELP!

Hi, to me Tioman is a better choice, however i've stayed at the berjaya tioman before, it is a nice hotel, but the dive centre is plain lousy, i had a dive master who didnt know anything and it was farely expensive.

I normally stay in Paya Beach Resort which is quite decent, dive centre is really good and affordable however the drawbacks is that there isnt much of beach at the resort, Berjaya Tioman has got a very nice beach.

In terms of vis, it really depends on your luck, sometimes on a good day vis in tioman is about 40m, average will be about 15-20m.

Tioman has generally better hard corals, cabbage patches are abudant and really breathtaking. And yes, tioman is nearer to KL, you dont have to fly in, easily accessbile by road.

Just my opinion of a fellow diver.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
56 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Perhentian or Tioman. Please HELP!

Thanks Jadamros and Gordon! I heard that Mar-Apr and Oct-Nov is the time when one (if really lucky) can chance upon seeing Whale Sharks and Manta Rays in Tioman. Is it true?

Am very impressed with Coral Island. Some pics which I saw on the net are amazing - malaysia-islands.com/html/…tulai.shtml Is it really so beautiful?

Gordon, would you recommend Tioman Dive Center in Tekek? And also need some recommendation on dive sites for a beginer like me.

Thanks and regards,

Pani

4. Re: Perhentian or Tioman. Please HELP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Pulau Perhentian Besar