We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Full Moon Party on October 2017

Lahore, Pakistan
Level Contributor
18 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
Full Moon Party on October 2017

Me and couple of friends are planning to visit Thailand in October and we were considering going to full moon party happening on 6th of October 2017. Can anybody guide us whats the best time to arrive in Ko Samui/Ko Pha Ngan for the party? We are considering to spend 4 days in total for both Ko Samui and Ko Pha Ngan which will include FMP and exploring around a bit. How should we split these 4 days for both Ko Samui and Ko Pha Ngan?

52 replies to this topic
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,007 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Full Moon Party on October 2017

I suggest you stay on Koh Samui and just take one of the many speedboats over to the party on the night. Many accommodations on Phangan have a 3+ minimum night stay and I don't see the point in moving around after only 2 days on one island.

Do be aware that October is monsoon season, so the crossing to Phangan can sometimes be rough.

Lahore, Pakistan
Level Contributor
18 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Full Moon Party on October 2017

Thanks for the tips. I have read that they run farries all night for FMP with one hour intervals. So i assume traveling back to Ko Samoi wont be that tough at the night/early morning. I assume the crossing is still safe in monsoon though being rough as you mentioned?

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,007 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Full Moon Party on October 2017

There have been accidents before, so it can happen - a reputable company won't go out if seas are rough. I would only use:

http://www.samuispeedboat.com/

as they have a good reputation.

You can wait around quite a while for a return boat the next day, but as this is one of the quieter FMP's, it wouldn't have thought it would be too much of a problem.

Lahore, Pakistan
Level Contributor
18 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Full Moon Party on October 2017

Thanks for the suggestion. You mentioned that this would be quieter FMP. Is the October FMP off season? What is the best time to attend a FMP? What about November one? Is it worthwhile to delay my plan and try to attend one in November?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Full Moon Party on October 2017

October is the monsoon season, so if the sea is rough the boats to the FMP won't run. I would suggest staying on Koh Phangan.

As Cassnu said, many places have a 4 night during the FMP, but it is low season so you may be able to find a place that doesnt care. The other option is to stay on the opposite side of the island where they don't enforce this 4 night minimum rule.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,007 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Full Moon Party on October 2017

November weather/sea conditions could be even worse, nobody can predict, so I wouldn't bother moving by just one month. I do agree with KLY above, that perhaps staying on Koh Phangan is a better idea to ensure that you can get to the party.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Full Moon Party on October 2017

The FMP is in early October this year (6th), the northeast monsoon is unlikely to have kicked in yet so you shouldn't have issues with the boat crossing.

Having said that, no guarantee that there won't be rough seas and/or rain still, you only have to look at all these big weather events around the globe at the moment to know that weather patterns are not behaving as predictably anymore.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Full Moon Party on October 2017

I think its been cancelled as its a year since the king passed away. October is the mourning period. Ive read there is no partys at all in thailand in october. I was planning on going too.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Full Moon Party on October 2017

And pray tell where did you hear that, first time poster?

Lahore, Pakistan
Level Contributor
18 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Full Moon Party on October 2017

Thanks everybody. It really helps with our plan.

Reply to: Full Moon Party on October 2017
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted