We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ko Lanta vs Ko Samui

london
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ko Lanta vs Ko Samui

Hi guys,

We r deciding on whether we shud go toKo Samui or Ko Lanta. We will visit during end of Feb12. It is our honeymoon and we would prefer a place which is nice, quiet, peaceful and stunning, breathtaking views.

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ko Lanta vs Ko Samui

In Feb the weather in general is better on Koh Lanta. Otherwise both islands offer you what you're searching for.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
658 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ko Lanta vs Ko Samui

Both Lanta and Samui are pretty but I wouldn't really call them "stunning and breathtaking". Phi Phi is stunning in my view, as is the Phang Nga archipelago (Koh Yao Noi?). The Island Village or Holiday Inn on Phi Phi are expensive but good. But that's a personal view (I prefer steep cliffs/mountains and white beaches to flat islands and golden beaches). Lanta is more peaceful and has less rain in February than Samui

HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ko Lanta vs Ko Samui

We went to Samui 5 years ago and loved it. Went back this year and was a little bit shocked at the massive rate of development. Koh Lanta is getting busier but at a much much slower place.

For peace and quiet Lanta wins easily but as other have said neither great for stunning views.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,737 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ko Lanta vs Ko Samui

Samui is generally not that quiet, certainly not compared to Koh Lanta. There's a lot more entertainment on Samui.

Ko Lanta, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
512 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ko Lanta vs Ko Samui

I love Samui. For partying, shopping and a great variety of food Samui is hard to beat, but I live on Koh Lanta.

While Samui has many wonders it also has loads of unavoidable traffic, huge areas devoted to prostitution, and scarcely an inch of undeveloped beachfront. Lanta is more laid-back, easy to get around and (compared to Samui and Phuket) sparsely developed. We still have all the modern conveniences but few of the hassles.

As for views, I don't know what the naysayers above have in mind but watching the sunset over the Andaman Sea is fairly stunning to me.

As for the 'quiet and peacefulness' of Phi Phi; I guess the hours between when the bars close (5am) and the bars open (10am) are relatively mellow.

India
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Ko Lanta vs Ko Samui

Ko Lanta or Ko Samui.. which is better to in Feb first week

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,737 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ko Lanta vs Ko Samui

Either, both are not in monsoon then so are usually good, here's a comparison rain chart:

www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php

Koh Lanta side gets slightly less, but not really enough to make a difference in my view. I think Koh Lanta would tick all your boxes.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ko Lanta vs Ko Samui

Both islands are better , If I were you I would chose Lanta for good honeymoon places. Take boat and do some snorkeling to Phi Phi or do 4 islands for snorkeling is really fun, the sea its look very nice also.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ko Lanta vs Ko Samui

Hi

We are thinking of going to Ko Lanta or Ko Samui in October for our Honeymoon. Which is better to visit?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ko Lanta vs Ko Samui

The weather isn't very good in October in either places but would probably better on the andaman coast so Koh Lanta would be your best option